Rental and Leasing Services (NAICS 532)
Under this topic you will find the North American Industry Classification
System definition of the
Rental and Leasing Services (NAICS 532) subsector. You can use this
definition to properly identify the segment of the industry you wish to study
further in other sections of Canadian Industry Statistics.
Definition of the Subsector
This subsector comprises establishments primarily engaged in renting or leasing tangible goods, such as automobiles, computers, consumer goods, and industrial machinery and equipment, to customers in return for a periodic payment.
The subsector includes two main types of establishments:
- those that are engaged in renting consumer goods and equipment; and
- those that are engaged in leasing machinery and equipment of the kind often used for business operations.
The first type typically operates from a retail-like or store-front facility and maintains inventories of goods that are rented for short periods of time.
The latter type typically does not operate from retail-like locations or maintain inventories, and offers longer-term leases. These establishments work directly with clients by providing or arranging financing to enable them to acquire the use of equipment on a lease basis; or they work with equipment vendors or dealers to support the marketing of equipment to their customers under lease arrangements. Equipment lessors generally structure lease contracts to meet the specialized needs of their clients and use their remarketing expertise to find other users for previously leased equipment. Establishments that provide operating and financial leases are included in this subsector.
Establishments primarily engaged in:
- renting or leasing intangibles or intellectual property (51,533,54,71, )
- leasing and providing loans to buyers of goods and equipment, or to vendors and dealers to finance their inventories (52222, Sales Financing)
- leasing real property (531, Real Estate)
- employee leasing services (56133, Professional Employer Organizations)
- renting or leasing equipment with operators (classified in various subsectors of NAICS depending on the nature of the service provided, )