Protein Industries Supercluster
From Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
Based in the Prairies, the Protein Industries Supercluster will use plant genomics and novel processing technology to increase the value of key Canadian crops, such as canola, wheat and pulses that are coveted in high-growth foreign markets, such as China and India, as well as to satisfy growing markets in North America and Europe for plant-based meat alternatives and new food products. Building on Canada's worldwide reputation as a leader in agricultural production, this supercluster will make Canada a leading source for plant proteins and, ultimately, feed the world.
Regional concentration: Prairie provinces
Technology focus: Agri-food enabling technologies, including genomics, processing, and information technology (IT)
Expected economic impact
|GDP impact over 10 years (in billions)||Job creation over 10 years|
|More than $4.5 billion||More than 4,500 jobs|
- Technology leadership
- Undertaking collaborative technology projects for the creation of high-quality germplasm, smart production, novel process technology and product development
- Partnerships for scale
- Undertaking activities to provide businesses with expertise on financing and capitalization and linking start-ups with strategic partners to scale
- Diverse and skilled talent pools
- Undertaking projects that target leadership opportunities for women and underrepresented groups, as well as certification programs for digital skills to promote wide-scale adoption of data analytics and artificial intelligence for improved nutrient and crop management
- Access to innovation
- Undertaking activities to support data sharing and value-chain development for plant-based proteins
- Global advantage
- Undertaking international trade missions and market research, and developing a venture capital fund to seize global market opportunities and attract international investment and partnerships
March 3, 2020
February 27, 2020
January 15, 2020
January 10, 2020
June 26, 2019
November 13, 2018
Participants (at application phase)
More than 100, including:
- AGT Food and Ingredients Inc.
- Maple Leaf Foods Inc.
- ISM Canada Inc.
- Dow DuPont Agriculture
- Farmers Edge Inc.
- Botaneco Inc.
- Dot Technology Corp. and SeedMaster Mfg.
- Enns Brothers
- Sightline Innovation Inc.
- University of Saskatchewan
- Roquette Agri-Food Canada
- Conexus Credit Union
- POS Bio-Sciences
- Date modified: