Implementation

Archived Information

Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.

The Knowledge Infrastructure Program, a key component of the Government of Canada's Economic Action Plan, was implemented rapidly, to provide significant short-term economic stimulus and help to create jobs in communities across the country by accelerating repairs, maintenance and construction at universities and colleges. In the first nine months following the announcement of funding in budget 2009, Industry Canada designed and launched the program, processed over 950 submissions and committed the entire $ 2 billion program budget toward 536 approved projects at institutions across the country. Funding decisions were announced as agreements were signed with each agreement listing specific projects approved for funding. The chart below indicates the month in which each agreement was signed (some provinces had 2 rounds of announcements and 2 agreements). The graph illustrates the program funding allocated through each agreement.

* In addition to agreements with provinces and territories, which together represented 98.5% of project funding, there were some bilateral agreements signed directly with a few institutions that account for the remaining 1.5% of the budget.

KIP committed Funds
April May June July August September October
Monthly Total (millions) 259.1 1,028.2 514.6 52.7 42.5 15.2 60.6
Total (billions) 0.259 1.287 1.802 1.855 1.897 1.912 1.973

Key Milestones

January 27, 2009
Budget 2009 commits $2 billion to support infrastructure enhancement at universities and colleges
March 9, 2009
Formal launch of the Knowledge Infrastructure Program
March 30, 2009
Deadline for submission of proposals
Spring 2009
Review and selection of projects for approval
April 8, 2009
British Columbia first round funding announcement
April 30, 2009
Nova Scotia funding announcement
May 4, 2009
Alberta first round funding announcement
May 20, 2009
Manitoba first round funding announcement
May 22, 2009
Yukon funding announcement
May 25, 2009
Ontario first round funding announcement
May 25, 2009
Newfoundland and Labrador funding announcement
May 29, 2009
Ontario private institutions funding announcement
May 29, 2009
Ontario second round funding announcement
June 4, 2009
New Brunswick funding announcement
June 4, 2009
Prince Edward Island funding announcement
June 12, 2009
Saskatchewan funding announcement
June 19, 2009
Quebec first round funding announcement
July 6, 2009
Manitoba second round funding announcement
July 22, 2009
Alberta second round funding announcement
July 30, 2009
Northwest Territories funding announcement
August 5, 2009
British Columbia second round funding announcement
September 23, 2009
Nunavut funding announcement
October 23, 2009
Quebec second round funding announcement
2009–2011
Program monitoring and quarterly reporting to Parliament1
December 2, 2010
Prime Minister Harper announces extension of deadline for completion of certain Economic Action Plan infrastructure projects by one full construction season, to October 31, 2011.
March 31, 2011
Final date for incurring eligible costs for non-extended projects.
October 31, 2011
Final date for incurring eligible costs for extended projects.

1 To ensure full transparency the effective roll-out of projects funded under the Knowledge Infrastructure Program, the Government of Canada provides updates on the status of projects to Parliament on a quarterly basis. Return to text