Space Advisory Board
On October 17, 2016, the Government of Canada initiated plans to renew the Space Advisory Board, and the Department launched an open, merit-based application process for the selection of members. In November 2016, the Government of Canada announced plans to launch a Space Strategy by June, and that the Space Advisory Board would consult stakeholders to define key elements of this strategy.
The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, announced on April 18, 2017 the new members of the board. These talented and diverse individuals from industry, the academic and research communities, and the not-for-profit sector have been appointed based on their significant knowledge of, and expertise in, the space sector.
The new board will be chaired by Dr. Marie Lucy Stojak, Director of the School on Management of Creativity and Innovation at HEC Montréal. The members of the board are:
- Dr. James Drummond, Professor, Dalhousie University
- William MacDonald Evans, President, W. MacDonald Evans Consulting Inc.
- Stéphane Germain, President and CEO, GHGSat Inc.
- Dr. Douglas Hamilton, Clinical Associate Professor of Internal Medicine and Adjunct Professor of Electrical Engineering, University of Calgary
- Michelle Mendes, Executive Director, Canadian Space Commerce Association
- Dr. Gordon Osinski, Associate Professor, Western University and Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Chair in Earth and Space Exploration
- Michael Pley, President, Pley Consulting Inc. and Chair of the Aerospace Industries Association of Canada's Space Committee
- Dr. Afzal Suleman, Canada Research Chair in Computational and Experimental Mechanics and Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Director of the Centre for Aerospace Research, University of Victoria
- Christine Tovee, independent consultant
As a part of the Government's Innovation and Skills Plan, the Space Advisory Board will engage with Canadians to develop a new vision for Canada's space sector and define key elements of a strategy that will be launched this summer. The Board input will inform the strategy, which will focus on using space to drive broader economic growth and innovation, while inspiring the next generation of space scientists.
The Space Advisory Board will be conducting a series of roundtables by invitation only, to engage stakeholders on Canada's space sector. Summaries of each roundtable will be posted to this page as they become available.
- Ontario Region - Ottawa, April 21, 2017
- Atlantic Region - Halifax, April 28, 2017
- Quebec Region - St. Hubert, May 5, 2017
- Prairie and the Northern Region - Calgary, May 10, 2017
- Pacific Region - Vancouver, May 12, 2017
- Ontario Region - Toronto, May 16 and May 17, 2017
- Virtual event - Canada’s Youth and Next Generation Space Leaders, May 18, 2017
- Virtual event - The North and Canada’s Future in Space, May 19, 2017
Please contact the Space Advisory BoardSecretariat if you’d like to participate in the virtual events.
Interested in providing input?
The Government of Canada is committed to stakeholder engagement and wants to hear your views.
If you would like to provide input directly to the Space Advisory Board, please send in electronic format to the following email address: email@example.com before May 19, 2017.
Space Advisory Board (SAB) roundtable on Canada’s future in space
- Date modified: