Evaluation of the Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative
4.0 Conclusions and Recommendations
Regarding relevance of the program, the evaluation determined that:
- SADI addresses a continued need for R&D financing for aerospace firms and high-tech SMEs.
- SADI reached a small proportion of A&D firms. This is because of external factors (i.e., the economic recession), various elements of the program design, and limited awareness of the program;
- SADI is aligned with the priorities of the federal government and the strategic outcomes of Industry Canada; and
- SADI is aligned with the federal government's role and responsibilities.
Regarding the effectiveness of the program, the evaluation determined that:
- SADI helped increase or accelerate R&D spending among recipients;
- There has been some increase in collaboration with post-secondary institutions that can be attributed to SADI; and
- While the full results will not be known for a few years, SADI projects have already resulted in development and commercialization of products, services and processes.
Regarding the efficiency of the program, the evaluation determined that:
- While meeting the service standard, the application process was perceived as onerous and lengthy; and
- The overall efficiency of SADI improved consistently year over year.
The conclusions of the evaluation lead to the following recommendations.
- ITO should consider identifying additional ways to streamline the end-to-end application process;
- ITO should consider examining whether changes in program design are required to improve uptake, particularly to attract SMEs and enhance collaboration; and
- ITO should consider building greater awareness of the program, especially among SMEs.
- Date modified: