Frequently Asked Questions

Wireless Questions

Which procedure do I use for an application regarding radio equipment?

The procedure to apply for radio equipment certification is RSP-100. The appendix A and appendix B forms from RSP-100 must be thoroughly completed and signed. The forms must accompany your submission. The latest version of RSP-100 is available.

Where can I find the Canadian technical requirements (standards)?

The list of radio standards is available

Do we require Canadian certification if we can show compliance with foreign requirements?

Yes Canadian equipment certification is required. All radio equipment must comply with Canadian procedures and technical standards.

If no Canadian standard exists how do we obtain radio equipment certification?

Certification will not be issued until an applicable standard has been promulgated. Please verify as to the release of radio standards with the manager of equipment standards. The e-mail address is

How do I obtain a Company Number (CN)?

Company numbers can be obtained through the E-filing System. To obtain a company number, login to E-filing, select "Manage Company Information" and then "Obtain new company number". After you have filled in the information and completed the request, an e-mail will be sent to you with your new company number.

First time users of the E-filing system must register with Industry Canada before they can obtain a company number.

Is the certification number on the label to be prefixed by "IC:"? Does this replace the previous prefix of "CANADA:" or "CAN:"?

Yes, the certification number is prefixed by "IC:" as per the labeling requirements in RSP-100, which replaces previous requirements.

Does IC choose the Unique Product Number (UPN)?

It's preferable that the client chooses the UPN. Permitted alphanumerical characters used in the UPN are limited to capital letters (A-Z) and digits (0-9). Other characters, such as "#", "/" or "-", shall not be used. An example of the new format for a company being issued a company number (CN) of "1234A" by the Certification & Engineering Bureau and wishing to use a UPN of "6A5S" would thus be: IC: 1234A-6A5S

What are the fees?

The fees are detailed in TRC-49

What is a listing fee?

Once the radio equipment has received certification it is listed in the radio equipment list (REL). The listing fee is $50.00 per model.

What do you mean by Canadian representative?

The applicant must provide in writing the identity of a representative in Canada who is capable of responding to enquiries and who can provide post-certification audit samples at no charge to Industry Canada.

What does family certification mean?

Family certification may be granted too many models of radio equipment, which are nearly electrically identical in design and construction provided that each model is assigned a unique model number by the manufacturer. Additional information can be found in RSP-100.

What exactly is multiple listing?

Multiple listing is required when a manufacturer or distributor wishes to list under their name and unique model number, a certified radio equipment of an original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Radio equipment may be multiple listed to other manufacturers or distributors based upon the approval granted to the original Technical Acceptance Certificate holder.

What is required if we modify certified equipment?

A reassessment is required when a Class II permissive change is made to previously certified equipment as per RSP-100.

What is a class II permissive change (Reassessment)?

A class II permissive change requires notification to Industry Canada. A class II permissive change includes those modifications in the radio equipment, which do change the electrical characteristics beyond the rated limits established by the manufacturer and accepted by Industry Canada for its certification, without violating the requirements of the applicable standard. This type of change requires notification to Industry Canada. The type of service is called reassessment.

What is the turn-around time to obtain equipment certification?

Normally within 14 calendar days.

What is the difference between Category I equipment and Category II equipment?

Category I equipment must meet the requirements of the applicable Canadian standard and requires certification. Category II equipment must also meet the requirements of the applicable Canadian standard but is certification exempt. (subsection 4(2) and 4(3) of the Radiocommunication Act and the Radiocommunication Regulations.)

If I want to apply for certification in Canada and my equipment is already certified by the FCC, will Industry Canada accept the test report that was produced for the FCC?

Industry Canada will accept a FCC test report if it meets the following conditions:

  • The test report must be less than one year old;
  • If the type of measurement was "radiated", the laboratory who did the testing must have their Test Site (OATS or Anechoic chamber) approved by Industry Canada;
  • If the type of measurement was "conducted", the laboratory who did the testing is not required to have their test site approved by Industry Canada;
  • A cross-reference table must be submitted with the test report to show that the equipment meets all of the applicable Canadian requirements.

Inquiries concerning radio standards may be directed to:

Manager, Radio Equipment Standards
Industry Canada
300 Slater Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0C8
Tel: 613-990-4699
Fax: 613-990-3158

Inquiries concerning equipment certification matters should be directed to:

Certification and Engineering Bureau
Industry Canada
3701 Carling Avenue (Building 94)
P.O. Box 11490, Station "H", Ottawa, ON K2H 8S2
Tel: 613-990-4218
Fax: 613-990-4752

Inquiries concerning licensing requirements should be directed to your

local Industry Canada office (see document RIC-66).

Help us improve
Back to "Help us improve" section.
Back to "What's the problem?" section.
Got it, thanks!
Um, you didn't enter anything.
Date modified: