Acceptable knowledge database, other supplementary procedures and notices
Innovation Science and Economic Development (ISED) Procedures:
RSS-102 Supplementary Procedures SPR-004 sets out the general test methods to be followed when carrying out an RF exposure compliance assessment of wireless devices implementing device-based time-averaging methods for the management and/or mitigation of specific absorption rate (SAR) in the 4 MHz to 6 GHz frequency band.
RSS-102 Supplementary Procedures SPR-003 sets out the general test methods to be followed when carrying out an RF exposure compliance assessment of portable devices operating in the 60 GHz frequency band (57-71 GHz).
RSS-102 Supplementary Procedures SPR-002 sets out the general test methods to be followed when carrying out an assessment to the nerve stimulation exposure requirements of RSS-102.
Notice 2020-DRS0012 : Clarification on requirements set forth in issue 1 of SPR-002
RSS-102 Supplementary Procedures SPR-001 provides supplementary information on the requirements and method to perform SAR evaluation with regard to bystanders for laptop type computers (laptop mode / tablet mode) with antennas built-in on display screens.
SAR test reduction procedure for module or device with combined Bluetooth and RLAN technology operating in the 2402 MHz to 2483.5 MHz frequency bands.
Innovation Science and Economic Development (ISED) Notices:
- Notice 2020-DRS0022: Guidance for SAR data re-use on depopulated variants from a reference model
- Notice 2020-DRS0020: Applicability of IEC/IEEE 62209-1528 and IEC 62209-3 Standard
- Notice 2020-DRS0019: Guidance for RF Exposure Assessments of Portable Devices with Wireless Power Transfer (WPT) Capabilities
- Notice 2020-DRS0012: Clarification on requirements set forth in issue 1 of SPR-002
- Notice 2020-DRS007: Updated September 2020Time-Averaged Specific Absorption Rate (TAS) Protocol
- Notice 2020-DRS001: Applicability of IEC 62209-3 Standard
- Notice 2019-DRS001: Rescinded May 2021Applicability of IEC 62209-2 AMD1:2019 Standard
- Notice 2016-DRS001: Updated July 2020Applicability of Latest FCC RF Exposure KDB Procedures and Other Procedures
- Notice 2012-DRS0529: Rescinded May 2021 SAR Correction for Measured Conductivity and Relative Permittivity Based on IEC 62209-2
Innovation Science and Economic Development (ISED) Updated Documents:
Annex A1 - SAR and LPD Technical Brief Cover Sheet
Annex A2 - RF Exposure Evaluation and NS Technical Brief Cover Sheet
List of Federal Communications Commission (FCC) KDB procedures for SAR measurement accepted by Innovation Science and Economic Development (ISED)
- KDB 648474 D03: Wireless chargers battery cover v01r04
- KDB 648474 D04: Handset SAR v01r03
(see Notice 2016-DRS001 for exemptions)
- KDB 941225 D01: SAR test for 3G Devices v03r01
- KDB 941225 D05: SAR for LTE Devices v02r05
- KDB 941225 D06: Hot spot SAR v02r01
- KDB 941225 D07: UMPC mini tablet v01r02
- KDB 248227 D01: 802.11 Wi-Fi SAR v02r02
- KDB 615223 D01: 802.16e/WiMAX SAR measurement guidance v01r01
- KDB 616217 D04: SAR for laptops and tablets v01r02
- KDB 447498 D01: General RF exposure guidance v06 (see Notice-DRS0001 for exemptions)
- KDB 447498 D02: SAR procedure for USB dongle transmitter v02r01
- KDB 643646 D01: SAR test for PTT Radios v01r03
These procedures can be found at the following website: http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/eameasurements.html
To request a PDF copy of these accepted KDB procedures, please email:
- Date modified: