Public Consultations on the Proposed Patent Rules
Third-Party Information Liability Disclaimer
Some of the information on this Web page has been provided by external sources. The Government of Canada is not responsible for the accuracy, reliability or currency of the information supplied by external sources. Users wishing to rely upon this information should consult directly with the source of the information. Content provided by external sources is not subject to official languages, privacy and accessibility requirements.
From: Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO)
Current Status: Closed
This consultation is currently closed.
From August 1 to September 8, 2017, we are conducting a public consultation on proposed amendments to the Patent Rules.
Consultation comments received
The following is a compilation of the comments received. Please note that the comments are presented as they were submitted, in the language in which they were written.
- Daniel Grice on behalf of Integra Law Group (PDF: 61 KB; 2 pages)
- Erica Nath on behalf of FICPI (PDF: 1.4 MB; 10 pages)
- Anne-Josée Delcorde on behalf of IPIC (PDF: 1.4 MB; 67 pages)
- Ken Bousfield on behalf of Bereskin & Parr LLP (PDF: 334 KB; 8 pages)
- Karen Kealey on behalf of Ivan Ralston (PDF: 169 KB; 3 pages)
- Leigh Matheson (PDF: 61 KB; 2 pages)
- Leigh Matheson - Editorial comment (PDF: 14 KB; 1 page)
- Keith Bird on behalf of McMillan LLP (PDF: 188 KB; 3 pages)
The Government of Canada is modernizing Canada's intellectual property (IP) framework so that we can join five international IP treaties, including the Patent Law Treaty (PLT).
Participation in these international agreements will better align Canada's IP systems with our major international trading partners, making it easier for innovative Canadian businesses to protect their IP at home and abroad. It will also help to make Canada a more attractive destination for foreign investment and encourage companies to bring innovations to market more quickly, to the benefit of Canadian consumers.
We have already made amendments to the Patent Act to comply with the requirements of the PLT, and are now in the process of amending the accompanying Rules which will guide us on how the Act is applied.
This consultation specifically pertains to the proposed amendments to the Patent Rules. In line with our commitment to inclusive, meaningful, open, transparent and balanced consultations, we want to hear your views and comments on the proposed Rules.
We want to hear from businesses, inventors, agents, groups or organizations that have an interest in the patent regime and/or the protection of inventions here in Canada.
This public consultation on proposed amendments to the Patent Rules is an opportunity for you to learn about the proposed amendments and their potential impacts and benefits. You are encouraged to read the patent consultation documents and are invited to ask questions and provide comments related to the Patent Rules
Your input may help further develop the Patent Rules prior to pre-publication of the draft Rules in Canada Gazette, Part I, as part of the Federal Regulatory Development Process.
August 1 to September 8, 2017
How to Participate
We value your views and would like to hear your comments and suggestions on how the proposed amendments may impact and benefit you.
- Learn more about the proposed regulatory amendments and the consultation process:
- Read the Modernizing Canada's Patent Regime—Overview for a summary of the proposed changes.
- Read the Patent Rules—Consultation Documents to learn more of the details of the proposed changes.
- Review the proposed Patent Rules (partial draft copy) | PDF version (603 KB)
- View video information sessions.
- Follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Questions about the proposed Rules?
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone us: 1-866-997-1936
- Date modified: