- Road show on the Unitary Patent and the Unified Patent Court, September 25 to 27, 2017
[2017-08-08] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) invites you to join us for the road show on the Unitary Patent and the Unified Patent Court (UPC) this September. This informative event is co-organized by the European Patent Office (EPO) and CIPO.
- New Zealand and Colombia join the Global Patent Prosecution Highway
[2017-07-06] On July 6, 2017, the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ) and the Superintendency of Industry and Commerce (SIC) of the Republic of Colombia joined the Global Patent Prosecution Highway (GPPH) pilot program. There are now 24 countries, including Canada, that are participating in the GPPH.
- CIPO launches the Patent Examination Interview Service
[2017-06-30] On June 1, 2017, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) officially launched a new client-focused service, the Patent Examination Interview Service.
- Technical issues with general correspondence—Patents
[2017-06-23] Technical issues with the patents general correspondence
- Government welcomes Canadians’ views on the North American Free Trade Agreement
[2017-06-15] Expanded online consultations with Canadians on the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) is proud to be ISO 9001:2015 certified!
[2017-06-08] CIPO Patent Branch achieved certification to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9001:2015.
- Public consultations on regulatory amendments coming soon
[2017-06-07] CIPO’s stakeholders’ feedback is sought after as part of public consultations on the proposed regulatory amendments to the Industrial Design Regulations, the Trade-marks Regulations and the Patent Rules.
- Updates to patent, industrial design and copyright general correspondence online services
[2017-06-06] On June 13, 2017, CIPO will introduce an updated look and feel to the general correspondence for patents, industrial designs and copyright online services.
- Launch: Updates to the trademark online services
[2017-05-29] On May 29, 2017, the trademark e-filing, e-registration and e-renewal online services will be updated in anticipation of the upcoming legislative changes related to Bill C-31.
- PCT Notification of Incompatibility under 703(f) of AI Removed
[2017-05-18] On 24 March 2017, CIPO withdrew their notification of incompatibility that was submitted under Section 703(f) of the Administrative Instructions (AI) under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) on 7 April 2002.
- CIPO launches a series of seminars about intellectual property
[2017-05-16] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) is launching IP Academy, a new educational program.
- CDs that Accompany an International Search Report
[2017-05-04] As of May 4, 2017, CDs that accompany an International Search Report (ISR) will no longer contain copies of cited patent documents.
- Additional guidance on Industrial Design Office practice changes
[2017-05-03] Please note that as a courtesy to applicants, the Office will make every attempt to hold back from registration for a period of two months from May 2, 2017, for pending applications filed before January 16, 2017 that claim computer-generated animated designs or colour as a feature of a design.
- Coming soon: Updates to the trademark online services
[2017-04-27] On June 1, 2017, the trademark e-filing, e-registration and e-renewal online services will be updated in anticipation of the upcoming legislative changes related to Bill C-31.
- Consultation on the new Manual of Patent Office Practice Chapter 17 section on medical kits
[2017-04-24] Consultation on the new Manual of Patent Office Practice Chapter 17 section on medical kits
- Webinar: modernized Canadian trademarks database
[2017-04-07] Webinar sessions on the updates to the Canadian trademarks database.
- CIPO releases a modernized Canadian trademarks database!
[2017-04-05] CIPO releases a modernized Canadian trademarks database presenting a contemporary look and feel, and introducing a simplified search engine, which optimizes both accessibility and usability.
- Coming soon: modernized Canadian trademarks database
[2017-03-31] On April 5, CIPO will release a modernized Canadian trademarks database, which will introduce a simplified search engine optimizing both accessibility and usability, while presenting a contemporary look and feel.
- Decisions by the Registrar of Trade-marks now available on Decisia
[2017-03-24] Today, March 24 2017, the Trademarks Opposition Board (TMOB) will make all decisions by the Registrar of Trade-marks on opposition and section 45 proceedings available on a new web application Decisia.
- Test your IP IQ
[2017-03-17] Join us in celebrating Canada’s 150th anniversary by testing your intellectual property (IP) IQ!
- Email communications of hearing correspondence
[2017-03-10] Following the success of the pilot project of the email communications of hearing correspondence, this initiative has been permanently implemented.
- CIPO is working towards becoming certified under ISO Standard 9001:2015
[2017-02-27] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) continues to implement measures that support business growth and innovation so that businesses can compete at home and abroad.
- CIPO's business hours and cash payment transactions changed
[2017-02-06] Starting February 6, 2017, two service changes will take effect regarding business hours and payment options at CIPO.
- Changes to CIPO's business hours and cash payment transactions
[2017-01-13] Starting February 6, 2017, two service changes will take effect regarding business hours and payment options at CIPO.
- Revised sections of the Manual of Patent Office Practice released
[2017-01-09] List of changes made in January 2017 on the CIPO MOPOP
- New Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) pilot agreement between Canada and Chile
[2017-01-06] A new PPH pilot program agreement between the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) and the National Institute of Industrial Property of Chile (INAPI) will commence January 6, 2017.
- Poland joins the Global Patent Prosecution Highway
[2017-01-06] On January 6, 2017, the Patent Office of the Republic of Poland (PPO) joined the Global Patent Prosecution Highway (GPPH) pilot.
- The 11th Edition of the Nice Classification and CIPO’s Goods and Services Manual
[2017-01-03] On January 1, 2017, the latest edition of the International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of Registration of Marks (Nice Classification) entered into force.
- Updated schedule of fees for international patent applications
[2016-12-29] The Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) schedule of fees will be updated, effective January 1, 2017. This update will impact international patent applications filed on or after this date.
- Migration to Canada.ca
[2016-12-15] As part of the Government of Canada’s Web Renewal Initiative (WRI), beginning this month, we will be moving our services and information to Canada.ca.
- CIPO celebrates the 40th anniversary of the grant of the 1 millionth patent in Canada
[2016-11-16] On November 16, 2016, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) celebrates the 40th anniversary of the grant of the 1 millionth patent in Canada.
- Celebrate global entrepreneurship week with CIPO
[2016-11-14] Announcement of Global Entrepreneurship Week celebrations
- Release of the IP Canada Report 2016
[2016-11-10] The IP Canada Report 2016 presents trends in IP filing activities in Canada and by Canadians around the world in addition to patenting information in climate change mitigation technologies.
- Get digital for Small Business Week
[2016-10-18] CIPO is going digital for Small Business Week (SBW), which runs from October 16 to 22, to share all the useful and helpful intellectual property (IP) tools and services that CIPO offers.
- Erratum: Discrepancy between the Trade-marks Journal and the Canadian Trade-marks Database
[2016-10-13] As of October 12, 2016, applications appearing in Vol. 63 No. 3233 of the Trade-marks Journal will be displayed as "Advertised". However, their status in the Canadian Trademarks Database will display as "Approved".
- Assemblies of the Member States of WIPO: 56th Series of Meetings
[2016-09-27] An overview of our upcoming participation, from October 3 to 11, 2016, to the 56th Series of Meetings of the Assemblies of the Member States of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- What is copyright in Canada?
[2016-09-07] In the What is a copyright? (Canada) video, you will find the types of works that copyright protects and the duration of its protection and information on the Copyright Law and on how to register a copyright.
- CIPO earns 2016 Public Service Awards of Excellence
[2016-08-05] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) is pleased to receive a 2016 Public Service Award of Excellence in the Official Languages category. Recipients of the 2016 Public Service Awards of Excellence were recently announced by the Government of Canada.
- CIPO Visit to China
[2016-07-29] In June, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) visited Beijing to meet with Chinese counterparts and interlocutors in support of their mission to help Canadian businesses compete globally.
- You asked, we listened!
[2016-07-25] News regarding changes on the Canadian Patent Database.
- Canada and Mexico extend their bilateral patent agreement
[2016-07-06] CIPO and the Mexican Institute of Industrial Property (IMPI) extend their bilateral PPH program for two years to July 6, 2018.
- Release of revised chapters of the MOPOP - June 2016
[2016-07-05] List of changes made in June 2016 on the CIPO MOPOP
- 2016 Trademark Agent Exam—November 29, 2016
[2016-06-27] Patent news of the 2016 trademark agent qualifying examination held on November 29, 2016.
- World Industrial Design Day—Live Q & A with an industrial design examiner
[2016-06-22] A message to announce a live Q & A session with an industrial design examiner in celebration of World Industrial Design Day on June 29th.
- The Canadian Intellectual Property Office opens consultations on proposed adjustments to trademark and patent fees
[2016-06-06] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) consultations on proposed adjustments to trademark and patent fee structure.
- Maintenance of the Canadian Industrial Designs Database
[2016-06-06] Regular updates to the Canadian Industrial Design Database will resume as of June 17th, 2016.
- XpresspostTM service of Canada Post is now recognized as a designated establishment
[2016-05-25] Further to the Federal Court decision, CIPO now considers Xpresspost TM service as a designated establishment to receive official correspondence.
- Date modified: