- New IP Agent Search tool now available to help businesses find registered agents
[2019-08-07] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) launched the new IP Agent Search tool to help our clients and innovators find registered trademark and patent agents who can assist them in protecting their intellectual property (IP).
- Canada has formally ratified the Patent Law Treaty
[2019-07-30] Canada has formally ratified the Patent Law Treaty, marking a significant milestone towards the Patent Law Treaty implementation on October 30, 2019. This is it the last of five IP treaties that Canada will have implemented in less than one year.
- Update to the patent e-filing application
[2019-07-11] Notice informing clients about an update to the patent e-filing application
- Canada is modernizing its patent regime to implement the Patent Law Treaty, and the new Patent Rules will come into force on October 30, 2019.
[2019-07-10] News item to inform all external CIPO web users of the publication of the new Patent Rules in the Canada Gazette, Part II and the coming-into-force date of the new Patent Rules to implement the Patent Law Treaty
- The revised guide to industrial designs is now online
[2019-06-28] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office has published an updated guide to industrial designs. The guide is intended to clarify the importance of industrial design rights, application requirements and the registration process both in Canada and through the Hague System.
- New online resources for Canadian businesses available in IP Academy
[2019-06-26] As part of its intellectual property (IP) foundations series, the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) launched two new online resources in its IP Academy this month.
- Improvements to CIPO patent search tools and databases
[2019-06-03] A brief description of updates made to the patent search databases to provide quicker access to patent information, and how these changes will affect intellectual property professionals.
- Canada celebrates intellectual property and sports innovations on World Intellectual Property Day
[2019-04-26] CIPO is pleased to host a panel and networking reception in the National Capital Region as part of World IP Day.
- Update on electronic funds transfers
[2019-04-23] From now on, electronic funds transfers must be made through the Fédération des caisses Desjardins du Québec
- Canada’s participation in WIPO’s Digital Access Service: A simple and e-enabled exchange of priority documents
[2019-04-01] This news release provides details on Canada’s participation in WIPO’s Digital Access Service for industrial design applications.
- Canada has acceded to three new trademark treaties
[2019-03-19] Canada has formally acceded to the Singapore Treaty on the Law of Trademarks, the Protocol Relating to the Madrid Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Marks and the Nice Agreement Concerning the International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks.
- New tools for Canadians to protect their intellectual property on the international stage
[2019-02-21] Canadian companies that protect their creations and ideas are more innovative, enjoy higher growth and create better jobs than their competitors.
- CIPO releases its Annual Report 2017–2018: Helping make Canada a global centre of innovation
[2019-02-01] The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) Annual Report for 2017–2018 was tabled in the House of Commons on January 30, 2019.
- Patent and trademark agent annual renewal deadline: April 1, 2019
[2019-01-02] Patent and trademark agents have until April 1, 2019 to renew their registration on the register of patent agents and the list of trademark agents.
- Canada continues to move toward ratification of the Patent Law Treaty and modernization of its patent regime
[2018-11-30] News release to announce the launch of public consultations, from December 1 to 31, 2018, on proposed amendments to the Patent Rules (the Rules)
- New Canadian Classification Standard for Industrial Designs
[2018-11-29] On November 5, 2018, CIPO introduced an updated version of its Canadian Classification Standard for Industrial Designs.
- The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) has implemented the classification schema in accordance with the Eighth Edition of the Vienna Classification (VCL)
[2018-10-16] Web page created to inform stakeholders of the Canadian Intellectual Property Office’s (CIPO) implementation of the classification schema in accordance with the Eighth Edition of the Vienna Classification (VCL) of the World Intellectual Property Office and a description of the impact of this update on trademarks
- Date modified: