Guidelines for formal client consultations
- Changes to practice
- Operational issues
- Amendments to legislation and regulations
Web Consultation Process
Consultations are open to the public and/or directed to specific client groups. The Internet, including CIPO's website and CIPO News Updates, is the primary vehicle for soliciting feedback on changes to legislation, regulation, practice and operational issues.
- Post online notices for a minimum of 30 days to a maximum of 90 days; the deadline for submission of comments will be stated in the notice.
- Provide contact information for comments, media and general enquiries in each specific notice.
- Advise subscribers of opportunities to review planned changes to practice or provide input on potential legislative and regulatory changes via an email alert subscription service.
- Send an advisory letter to targeted stakeholders for certain
practice issues and all proposed amendments to legislation or regulations. This list of
targeted stakeholders will be expanded as necessary to reflect specific subject matter interests.
CIPO stakeholders include International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI Canada), Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), Fédération internationale des conseils en propriété industrielle (FICPI Canada), Canadian Bar Association (CBA), Canadian Chamber of Commerce (CCC), Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB), International Trademark Association (INTA), Licensing Executives Society (LES).
- Accept written comments received by email, fax and email within the posted time period.
- Post all comments at the conclusion of the comment period. These postings will be retained for a period of three months, after which they will be moved to the Archive section of CIPO's website.
- Advise when formal consultations on regulatory changes appear in the Canada Gazette.
Joint Liaison Committee Meetings
Used to discuss and exchange views on IP topics of common interest.
Used to assemble experts on a topic for research purposes and are established as required.
On an exception basis, operational and/or practice changes will be published without seeking external comment. CIPO will publish an explanation should such occasions arise.
- Date modified: