Registration and renewal of trademarks
Maintaining the registration for 15 years.
Warning: scam notices related to patents or trademarks
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) is aware of various scam mail or email being sent to holders of patent and trademark registrations. Protect yourself! Find out more about non-CIPO solicitations and learn how you can report it.
1. Before you begin
If you are a new client, you must create a username and password with Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada. You will find the Industry Canada username creation page on a secure server on the Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada website.
Returning clients who need to update their Industry Canada registration, or who have forgotten their username or password should visit Industry Canada registration.
You may pay using a credit card or by deposit account.
If you are an agent...
Activate your Industry Canada username by contacting the Trademarks Operations section by phone at 819-997-2590, or by fax at 819-953-2476. Do not contact us if it is already activated.
Note: It is important that you give the Formalities section your Industry Canada username exactly as you applied for it. It is case-sensitive and must be recorded exactly as it was applied for.
2. Access the registration and renewal online services (you must log in)
To create a new username and password, or update your existing registration, go to My Industry Canada Account.
You should review our system requirements and information summary to make sure you have the appropriate software.
3. Services available
You may use this web application to:
- pay the registration fee with the declaration of use (if applicable);
- renew your trademark application
- request an extension of time to file a declaration of use.
Trademark registration and renewal e-service
A glossary of terms and their functions is available to help you.
Note: You will have to log onto My Industry Canada Account to access this document.
4. After you register, renew or request an extension of time
You will be able to view the following items online:
- extension of time notice
- declaration of use confirmation
- registration certificate
- renewal certificate
We will send the rest of our communications to you by regular mail.
The registration certificate and the registration page are available online. However, all further correspondence related to the registration must be done by regular mail.
- For assistance with your username and password, contact the Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada help desk.
- For questions related to CIPO’s applications, or to get a user guide, please contact the Client Service Centre.
- To report a technical problem, please complete the technical problem report form.
- Date modified: