File a new or amended trademark or certification mark application
From: Canadian Intellectual Property Office
Follow the step-by-step process to file a new or amended trademark or certification mark application.
Welcome to the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) Trademarks e-Filing service.
With this online service, you can file a new or amended trademark or certification mark application. Once you have paid your application fee, you will immediately receive your application number.
1. Before you apply
If you have not already done so, we suggest that you do the following before you start your application:
- Read A Guide to Trademarks.
- Review the trademark application process.
- Consult our list of trademark agents should you wish to hire a registered trademark agent to handle your file.
- Search trademarks using the Canadian trademarks database.
- Use the Goods and Services Manual to search for acceptable goods and services terms in Canada for trademark applications.
2. Application requirements
A trademark application that has the following will receive a filing date and application number:
- An implicit or explicit indication that registration of a trademark is being sought;
- the name and contact information of the applicant;
- a representation or description of the trademark (such as a drawing);
- the goods or services that the trademark is associated with; and
- the application fee
3. After you apply — Filing an amended application
You may have to file an amended trademark or certification mark application after having received an examination report.
- Use the amendment online service only if you have already filed a trademark or certification mark application and have a CIPO filing receipt.
- Do not use the form for amended applications for the Trademarks Opposition Board.
- Certain amendments to your application are not allowed. Check which changes are allowed by reading section 35 of the Trademarks Regulations.
New initiative – Trademark amendments without an examiner's report
Effective on , we are starting a new initiative. You or your appointed agent might get a call from a trademark examiner asking for:
Verbal permission to amend your application
A trademark examiner might call to ask for verbal permission to:
- add missing disclaimers related to the use of a trademarked colour system or the 11-point maple leaf
An electronic revised trademark application
A trademark examiner might call to ask you to send an amended trademark application if:
- a registration symbol (example: "TM" or "MC") needs to be removed
- typographical errors need to be corrected
- the entire mark is disclaimed
- priority claims are not properly linked to an amended statement of goods and services
- the statement of goods and services is improperly separated by punctuation (example: a displaced semicolon)
- the Nice Classification is incorrect
- a colour claim is incomplete
4. Send a general correspondence
You may have to send correspondence to the Registrar on a variety of trademark topics to the Office through the e-General Correspondence, as an alternative to facsimile or postal mail.
Examples of the types of correspondence that can be sent to the Office include appointment or revocation of a trademark agent; cancellation or withdrawal of a registration or application; change of name or address; division of an application, and requests for extensions of time and will also allow clients to pay a fee, when applicable.
5. Use our online services (you must log in)
Login to the Trademark e-filing application
- The online service is on a secure server on the Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada website.
To create a new username and password or to update your existing registration, go to My ISED Account.
If you are an agent...
If you are a new user of this system, you will need to activate your ISED username by contacting the Formalities section by telephone at 819-997-2590 or by facsimile at 819-953-2476.
It is important to provide the Formalities section with your ISED username exactly as you applied for it. It is case sensitive and must be a precise match.
- You can pay any fees by credit card or by deposit account.
- Do you have questions about the new online system?
Complete our technical problem report form.
- Date modified: