Payment of patent maintenance fees
Pay your patent maintenance fees electronically or find out about other payment methods.
Warning: scam notices related to patents or trademarks
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) is aware of various scam mail or email being sent to holders of patent and trademark registrations. Protect yourself! Find out more about non-CIPO solicitations and learn how you can report it.
Electronic payment of maintenance fees
The Patent Maintenance Fee Electronic Payment service allows you to quickly and conveniently pay maintenance fees for Canadian patents and patent applications by:
- selecting your patent(s) or patent application(s) from a list that shows the due dates of maintenance fees
- creating your own list of patent document numbers
- uploading a file of your patent document numbers
You may not pay maintenance fees for secret applications using the electronic payment method. Please see the General Correspondence page for your other payment options.
Get an activation code
You will need an activation code to access the secure Patent Maintenance Fee Electronic Payment service. To get an activation code, you must do the following:
- Get an Industry Canada username and password. You can get this online from the Industry Canada registration page.
- Use the Industry Canada username and password to complete the Patent Office’s payment of patent maintenance fees registration process.
Once you get your activation code, you can return to the payment of patent maintenance fees page and access your account.
Maintenance fees on patent applications can be paid only by the authorized correspondent.
Other ways to pay your maintenance fees
Should there be a failure in any component of our website or in communicating your data, you can pay the maintenance fees using other means such as regular mail. For more information, please consult CIPO's correspondence procedures.
This e-service operates Monday to Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).
Change of agent
Please note that recently submitted Change of Agent documents might not have been processed yet. If it is the case, you may not be able to pay the maintenance fees for the patent applications in question.
Method of payment
You may pay using a credit card or by deposit account.
System and browser requirements
Please review our system and browser requirements to ensure you have the required software.
Period of inactivity
For security reasons, if there is no user activity for 30 minutes after you login, the application will disconnect you from our electronic service.
- For assistance with your username and password, contact the Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada help desk.
- For questions related to patent applications, to obtain a user guide or for assistance related to patents' electronic services, please contact the Client Service Centre.
- To report a technical problem, please complete the technical problem report form.
- Date modified: