Speed up your patent applications for clean technology inventions
Examination of a patent application can be accelerated when it's related to clean technology inventions.
On this page:
- Do you have a clean technology invention to patent? Get your application fast-tracked!
- How to apply
- Search our database for clean technology-related inventions
- More information
- Government programs for Canadian manufacturers
Do you have a clean technology invention to patent? Get your application fast-tracked!
You can request to fast-track the examination of your patent application when it's related to clean technology.
No additional fee is required for the accelerated examination service of patent applications related to clean technologies. Your application is eligible when the invention relates to clean (otherwise known as green) technology and the commercialization of the invention would help to resolve or mitigate environmental impacts or to conserve the natural environment and resources.
Our accelerated service is intended to assist in reducing the time it takes to patent clean technology inventions, enabling businesses to bring them to market more rapidly.
How to apply
If you wish to take advantage of the fast-track examination process, you must do the following:
- Request expedited examination by submitting a written request to the Canadian Intellectual Property Office.
- Submit a declaration that states your application relates to technology, the commercialization of which would help to resolve or mitigate environmental impacts or conserve the natural environment and resources (see subsection 28(1) of the Patent Rules).
Search our database for clean technology-related inventions
The Canadian Patents Database is a vast source of information. Free search tools are available.
You can learn about innovations in your technical field and more.
You can search our database for the list of all patents applications that currently benefit from the expedited examination under the clean technologies initiative and the list of patents that have used this acceleration mechanism for clean (otherwise known as green) technologies since 2011.
- Background on the expedited examination of patent applications related to green technology
- Instructions for filing for expedited examination of patent applications relating to green technology
Government programs for Canadian manufacturers
- Date modified: