Amendments to the Patent Rules are coming into force on May 1, 2014
The Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO) wishes to remind patent agents that the remaining amendments to the Patent Rules will be coming into force on May 1, 2014.
In particular, agents may be interested in the following regulatory changes:
- Administer the qualifying examinations for patent agents at least once a year, without reference to a specific month.
- Notify candidates proposing to sit for the qualifying examination of the exam date by any means deemed appropriate, such as regular mail or electronic mail.
- Restrict refund requests to situations where a candidate registers to sit for a previously administered patent agent qualifying examination and receives notification after registration that they have passed the examination.
- Increase the level of practical experience required in the area of Canadian patent law and practice from 12 to 24 months in order for candidates to be eligible to sit for the patent agent qualifying examination.
- Recognize up to 12 months of practical experience for persons who are entitled to practice before the patent office of another country.
- Date modified: