Doing business abroad: Protecting your IP in China

View as PDF (PDF: 2.3 MB;12 pages)

Permission to reproduce

Except as otherwise specifically noted, the information in this publication may be reproduced, in part or in whole and by any means, without charge or further permission from the Canadian Intellectual Property Office (CIPO), provided that due diligence is exercised in ensuring the accuracy of the information reproduced, that CIPO is identified as the source institution, and that the reproduction is not represented as an official version of the information reproduced, nor as having been made in affiliation with, or with the endorsement of, CIPO.

For permission to reproduce the information in this publication for commercial redistribution, please email

Table of contents

Doing business abroad: Protecting your IP in China

Intellectual property (IP) is a valuable asset that can support your business expansion abroad. A Canadian patent, trademark or industrial design does not secure your rights outside of Canada. You should consider obtaining IP protection in the countries where you plan on doing business, including selling products over the Internet and/or manufacturing products overseas.

China is Canada's second largest trading partner and the economic ties between the countries continue to be strengthened and deepened. It is important to know how to recognize, register and enforce your IP rights in China. There are important differences between Canada and China in the protection and registration process for IP.

In China, you can apply for patent, copyright and trademark protection. If you wish to enter the Chinese market or are already doing business in China, it is recommended that you apply to protect your IP rights in China as soon as practically possible.

Where is IP registered?

The China National Intellectual Property Administration, PRC (CNIPA) administers the registration of trademarks as well as the grant of patents, whereas copyright registration is overseen by the Copyright Protection Center of China (CPCC), which falls under the National Copyright Administration of China (NCAC).

If you do not have a business entity in China, an agent or lawyer based in China must be used to file an IP application on your behalf. For your information, the website of the Canadian Trade Commissioner Service provides a list of some Canadian and international IP firms which can provide services directly in China or coordinate work with Chinese associates. Documents for an IP application must be submitted in Chinese.



IP enforcement

There are several ways to enforce your rights against unauthorized use of your IP in China, including administrative actions, customs seizures and civil litigation. The state may also prosecute offenders under the criminal law. In order to determine the best course of action, you may wish to consult an IP professional.

Tips: Important notes

For additional help:

* The information provided above is meant as an educational resource only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Date modified: