Working Paper Series
The Working Paper Series is intended as a means of diffusing research findings from Industry Canada projects for discussion and comment.
Working papers are circulated in the language in which they were written.
The papers reflect the views of the authors and no responsibility for them should be attributed to Industry Canada or the Government of Canada. Comments on the papers are invited and may be sent directly to the authors.
If you have general enquiries, please contact us.
- Do Very Large Producers Contribute to the Canada-U.S. Productivity Gap? Evidence from Manufacturing, by Michael-John Almon and Jianmin Tang, Industry Canada
- International Competition, R&D Investment Patterns, and Endogenous Sunk Costs in Canada and the United States, 1987–2002, by Daniel Ershov, Industry Canada
- Inward FDI and Productivity Performance in Canadian Industries: Does the Country of Origin Matter?, by Eric C.Y. Ng and Malick Souare, Industry Canada
- Impacts of Structural Changes in the Canadian Economy, by Ronald Hirshhorn, Hirshhorn Consulting, Inc
- Management and Productivity in Canada: What does the Evidence Say?, by Nicholas Bloom, Stanford University
- ICT and TFP Growth: Intangible Capital or Productive Externalities?, by Ram Acharya, Industry Canada and Susanto Basu, Boston College
- Unbundling Canada’s Weak Productivity Performance: The Way Forward, by Andrew Sharpe, Centre for the Study of Living Standards
- Unbundling Canada’s Weak Productivity Performance: A Review of the Issues, by Susanto Basu, Boston College
- Canada and Its Competitors in the U.S. Market: A Mixed Report Card for an Optimist, by Ram Acharya, Industry Canada, and Fahreen Velji, former co-op student (University of Waterloo) at Industry Canada
- Commercializing University Inventions: Are Canadians Less Productive than Americans? Evidence from Survey Data, by Ajay Agrawal.
- Impact of FDI Restrictions on Inward FDI in OECD Countries, by Madanmohan Ghosh, Panagiotis Syntetos and Weimin Wang.
- Does FDI Accelerate Economic Growth? The OECD Experience Based on Panel Data Estimates for the Period 1980–2004, by Madanmohan Ghosh and Weimin Wang.
- Private and Social Rates of Returns to R&D in OECD Countries: How Different Are They across Industries?, by Ram Acharya.
- Competition, Innovations and Productivity: A Critical Review of Recent Literature and Synthesis, by Malick Souare.
- Role of Competition in the Canada-U.S. Productivity Gap: Empirical Evidence from Industry Panel Data, by Malick Souare.
- Formal and Informal Barriers To Foreign Direct Investment in the Telecom Sector, by Ronald Hirshhorn.
- Investment Restrictions in the Financial Services Sector, by Edwin Neave.
- Competition Intensity in Canada: A Critique of Recent OECD Findings, by Stéphane Crépeau and Marc Duhamel.
- The Robustness of International Benchmarks of Competition Intensity: The Case of Mark-ups, by Stéphane Crépeau and Jeffrey Peter.
- Recent Doctoral Graduates in Canada and the U.S.A.: Indicators from the Canadian and U.S. Surveys of Earned Doctorates, by Daniel Boothby.
- Firm Size and Research and Development Expenditures: A Canada-U.S. Comparison, by Thitima Songsakul, Bernice Lau and Daniel Boothby.
- Foreign Direct Investment Trends: A Canadian Perspective, by Ram Acharya and Someshwar Rao.
- The Impact of Cross-Border Acquisitions on Headquarter and Headquarter-related Activities in Canada, by Ronald Hirshhorn.
- Research Papers Prepared for March 2007 Human Resources and Social Development Canada-Industry Canada Roundtable on Internal Trade.
- Technology Adoption, Training and Productivity Performance, by Daniel Boothby, Anik Dufour and Jianmin Tang.
- Impediments and Facilitators of Technology Adoption and Diffusion. A Literature Survey of the Last 10 Years, by Johannes Van Biesebroeck.
- Canada and U.S. Outward FDI and Exports: Are China and India Special?, by Madanmohan Ghosh and Weimin Wang.
- Benchmarking Indicators of Innovation, by Marie Lavoie.
- The Evolution of the World's Technology Frontier, 1973–2002, by Ram Acharya and Wolfgang Keller.
- What Explains the Canada-U.S. Capital Intensity Gap?, by Someshwar Rao, Jianmin Tang and Weimin Wang.
- Canada's Productivity in Goods Production and Services in International Comparative Perspective, by Robert Inklaar, Marcel Timmer and Bart van Ark.
- What Explains the Canada-U.S. TFP Gap?, by Someshwar Rao, Jianmin Tang and Weimin Wang.
- Productivity, Business Practices and Advanced Technologies in the Canadian Manufacturing Sector, by Anik Dufour, Alice Nakamura and Jianmin Tang.
- Benchmarking Structure-Conduct-Performance Indicators of Competitive Intensity in Canadian Industries, by Henry Thille.
- Vertical Linkages and Innovation, by Gamal Atallah and Hong Ding.
- Unbalanced Industry Demand and Supply Shifts: Implications to Economic Growth in Canada and the United States, by Anik Dufour, Jianmin Tang and Weimin Wang.
- The Impact of Foreign Ownership on Aggregate R&D Intensity: A Critical Review of the Empirical Evidence, by Donald McFetridge.
- Research and Development Composition and Labour Productivity Growth in 16 OECD Countries, by Ram C. Acharya and Serge Coulombe.
- Policy Responses to the New Offshoring: Think Globally, Invest Locally, by Daniel Trefler.
If you would like to be electronically notified about the release of new papers under this series, please contact us.
Working and other research papers published between 1994 and 2004 are located in the Archived Papers (1994–2004) section.