This section provides basic information concerning the international intellectual property treaties which Canada has signed as well as links to their full text. (NB Treaties which have only been signed by Canada, but not ratified or acceded to, do not impose specific obligations on Canada. However, in signing a treaty, Canada undertakes not to act in a manner contrary to the spirit and principles it embodies.) These include:
- Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works (concluded 1886): Canada acceded to the Convention April 10, 1928, and to the 1971 revision on September 28, 1998.
- Budapest Treaty on the International Recognition of the Deposit of Microorganisms for the Purposes of Patent Procedure (concluded 1977): Canada acceded to the Treaty on September 21, 1996.
- Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization (concluded 1967): Canada acceded to the Agreement and became a member of WIPO on June 26, 1970.
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) - Chapter 17: Protection of Intellectual Property Rights (concluded 1992): Canada signed NAFTA on December 17, 1992, and ratified it on June 23, 1993.
- Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property (concluded 1883): Canada acceded to the Convention on June 12, 1925.
- Patent Cooperation Treaty (concluded 1970): Canada acceded to the Treaty on January 2, 1990.
- Rome Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organizations (concluded 1961): Canada acceded to the Convention on March 4, 1998, and became a party to it on June 4, 1998.
- United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (concluded 1992): Canada acceded to the Convention on December 4, 1992.
- United Nations Convention on Biological Diversity (conlcuded 1992): Research papers on intellectual property issues related to the United Nations biodiversity Convention.
- WIPO Copyright Treaty (concluded 1996): Canada became a signatory on December 22, 1997.
- WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty (concluded 1996): Canada became a signatory on December 22, 1997.
- World Trade Organization (WTO) - TRIPs Agreement (concluded on 1994): Canada became a party to TRIPs on January 1, 1995.