ARCHIVED — Copyright, Economic Impact Studies
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
The Government of Canada’s aim is to maintain a modern Copyright Act that promotes the best interests of Canadians, while adhering to our international obligations. In “Supporting Culture and Innovation: Report on the Provisions and Operation of the Copyright Act“, the Government provides a list of key issues that may need to be addressed in the coming years. It comprises outstanding issues from previous rounds of amendments, new issues that have emerged primarily as a result of the development of the Internet and other digital technologies, and also key issues relating to specific international trends and developments.
In particular, the report identified short-term priorities relating to World Copyright Treaty (WCT) and World Performances and Phonograms Treaty (WPPT) issues, the question of ISP liability, and access and education issues. Industry Canada asked some economists to undertake an assessment of the economic impacts of copyright reforms in these areas. These reports reflect the opinions of the authors and are being made available in the hope that they will stimulate debate on the issues.
- The Impact of Music Downloads and P2P File–Sharing on the Purchase of Music: A Study for Industry Canada - (HTML) (PDF, 381 KB, 61 pages)
- Economic Impact of Options for Reforming the Private Copying Regime – December 2005 - (HTML) (PDF, 225 KB, 54 pages)
- Internet Service Providers Report – Revised January 2006 - (HTML) (PDF, 108 KB, 31 pages)
- Assessing the Economic Impacts of Copyright Reform on Internet Service Providers – November 2003 - (HTML) (PDF, 363 KB, 50 pages)
- Assessing the Economic Impact of Copyright Reform on Authors, Makers, Photographers and Publishers in Canada in Reference to Two New Copyright-Related Treaties: WIPO Copyright Treaty (WCT), WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty (WPPT) – Revised June 2003 - (HTML) (PDF, 170 KB, 74 pages)
- Assessing the Economic Impacts of Copyright Reform on Performers and Producers of Sound Recordings in Canada - (HTML) (PDF, 300 KB, 44 pages)
- Assessing the Economic Impact of Copyright Reform in the Area of Technology-Enhanced Learning - (HTML) (PDF, 268 KB, 41 pages)
- Assessing the Economic Impacts of Copyright Reform on Selected Users and Consumers - (HTML) (PDF, 359 KB, 45 pages)
Information on Downloading a PDF Reader
To access the Portable Document Format (PDF) version you must have a PDF reader installed. If you do not already have such a reader, there are numerous PDF readers available for free download or for purchase on the Internet: