Archived — SADI Program Highlights 2011–2012
2. Supporting the Government of Canada's Science and Technology Strategy
In May 2007, the Government of Canada released its Science and Technology (S&T) strategy entitled: Mobilizing Science and Technology to Canada's Advantage.
The Strategy focused on creating a business environment that encourages private sector innovation while ensuring that public funds are invested wisely. It recognized the important role that the private sector and others play in the Canadian economy, and committed to investing in R&D. Since 2006, the government has provided $8 billion in new funding for science and technology and the growth of innovative firms.
SADI is an important part of the S&T Strategy. With a focus on Canada's A&D industries, the program directly supports the federal government's commitments to R&D, leveraging private sector investment, and encouraging strategic partnerships and collaboration among companies and research institutions. These commitments are key components of Industry Canada's Business Plan 2011–12, which sees science and technology, knowledge, and innovation as effective drivers of a strong Canadian economy.
By making repayable contributions in strategic industrial and pre-competitive R&D projects, SADI helps create a supportive environment in which Canadian companies can develop advanced technology, products and processes. These efforts benefit not only the company conducting the R&D, but also other companies throughout the A&D supply chain and the Canadian economy as a whole through job creation, technology transfer and other spill-over benefits.
At the same time, by nurturing private sector R&D at home, SADI helps Canadian companies of all sizes remain competitive in the global economy.
Economic Action Plan
- Supporting Job Creation
- Supporting Families and Communitites
- Investing in Innovation
- Investing in Education and Training
- Preserving Canada's fiscal advantage
- The Canadian marketplace is efficient and competitive
- Advancements in science and technology, knowledge and innovation strengthen the Canadian economy
- Canadian businesses and communities are competitive
Industrial Technologies Office
- To deliver programs that will accelerate innovation by Canadian industries through research and development investments, producing social and economic benefits for all Canadians
Strategic Aerospace & Defence Initiative
- Encouraging strategic R&D that will result in innovation and excellence in new and improved products, services and processes
- Enhancing the competitiveness of Canadian A&D companies
- Fostering collaboration between research institutes, universities, colleges and the private sector
- Date modified: