GEN-37 — Policy on the Loan of Publicly Owned Standards and Equipment
Bulletin: GEN-37 (rev. 1)
Issue Date: 2011-04-01
Effective Date: 2011-04-01
Table of Contents
- 1.0 Purpose
- 2.0 Scope
- 3.0 Policy
- 4.0 Implementation of Policy
- 5.0 Revision
- 6.0 Additional Information
The purpose of this document is to state the policy with regard to the lending of standards and equipment owned by Measurement Canada. This policy became effective on June 1st, 2008. The requirement for a loan agreement became effective immediately and applied retroactively to standards and equipment on loan to industry at the time of issuance of this policy.
This policy applies to all standards and equipment. This policy does not apply to fleet vehicles or real property.
The lending of Measurement Canada - owned standards and equipment is generally not permitted. Only under exceptional circumstances may certain standards be lent, provided that all of the following criteria are met:
- the loan supports the delivery of Measurement Canada programs or activities.
- the loan is recommended by either the District Manager, Weights and Measures (W&M) or the Regional Manager, Electricity and Gas (E&G), as applicable, as well as the Regional Director and approved by the President, Measurement Canada
- the loan is for a set period.
- the standard/equipment is readily available at the local Measurement Canada Regional or District Office.
- the standard or equipment is for the sole purpose of authorized service providers carrying out activities in accordance with the requirements set out in the accreditation standard S-A-01 "Criteria for the Accreditation of Organizations to Perform Inspections Pursuant to the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act and the Weights and Measures Act (S-A-01), the Registration Program Terms and Conditions", and/or the "Conditions for the Delegation of Authorities for the Calibration and Certification of Standards, Measuring Apparatus and Test Equipment Pursuant to the Electricity and Gas Inspection Act" (C-D-01).
- the loan of standards or equipment shall be made by way of a written agreement between either the Regional Manager (E&G) or the District Manager (W&M), Measurement Canada and the Head of the organization that is borrowing the equipment.
The loan will be subject to applicable Treasury Board materiel management policies and the Public Property Loan Regulations governing the Federal Public Service.
4.0 Implementation of Policy
Measurement Canada Regional Directors shall ensure that the use of standards and equipment under their control conforms to the policy. The requirement for a loan applied retroactively to standards and equipment on loan at the time of issuance of this policy.
Measurement Canada Regional Managers (E&G) and District Managers (W&M) are the main point of contact for organizations borrowing standards / equipment. Regional and District Managers are responsible for lending standards or equipment only in accordance with the policy; obtaining the required recommendations and approvals from the Regional Director and President, Measurement Canada; preparing the agreement and obtaining the required signature from the borrower (the person who directs and controls the organization at the highest level for the scope of work being conducted with the borrowed equipment); and retaining the original signed agreement for the duration of the loan.
The purpose of revision 1 is to incorporate the appropriate titles of Regional Managers (E&G).
6.0 Additional Information
For additional information regarding this bulletin, please contact the local Measurement Canada Regional Manager (E&G) or District Manager (W&M).
Alan E. Johnston
- Date modified: