How do I request a copy of my credit report / file?
Although there are many ways to order your credit report, such as by phone, fax, or e-mail, the easiest and safest method is by mail or by Internet.
Summary of methods to request your credit report and their respective characteristics
- Free of charge
- Credit score is not provided
- Can take some time to receive
- Almost instant report
- Option to get credit score
- Fee charged
By mail — free of charge1
If you make your request in writing and send it by mail, the credit-reporting agencies will provide you, by mail, with a free copy of your report. It is important, however, that in your request you include a copy of two pieces of I.D. Contact the credit-reporting agencies to find out which pieces of I.D. are acceptable. You will find the coordinates for each agency below.
Online — some fees apply
You can also order your credit report through the reporting agencies' websites. This method is faster since you will receive your credit report online only a few minutes after you made the request. However, credit-reporting agencies charge a fee for providing you with an online copy of your credit report.
- Equifax Canada: Consumers may obtain a copy of their credit report, plus credit score, and a score analysis online in Canada, for a fee. They provide consumers online, real-time access to their credit information. Consumers provide personal information during the order process for their credit information so that their identity can be verified.2
- TransUnion: Consumers are asked to provide information that confirms their identity, plus valid credit card payment information, when applicable. Following a confirmation of their information, consumers may view their TransUnion Personal Credit Report & Score online. Ordering online is available to current or former residents of Canada. Fees may vary by province.3
Credit Report Samples — what do they look like?
If you want to know what a credit report looks like and what it contains, you can visit the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada's publication entitled Understanding Your Credit Report and Credit Score for detailed information.
Coordinates for each credit reporting agency
Here are Canada's two major credit-reporting agencies:
Tel: 1-866-525-0262 (except in Quebec)
Tel: 1-877-713-3393 (Quebec residents)
- Date modified: