Archived—Project Summaries 2006-2007 - Automobile Protection Association (APA)
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
292, St-Joseph Blvd, West
1. Used Vehicle Retailing Investigation
Using its contacts in Québec, Ontario and British Columbia, the APA will prepare and undertake a mystery shopper investigation of 60 dealers in Toronto, Montréal, and Vancouver. This investigation of dealership and curbsiders (dealers posing as private parties) will evaluate the following market practices:
- Accuracy of price and payment representations in advertising
- Accuracy of representations on vehicle condition in advertising, including terms like "special, extra-clean, accident-free, one-owner".
- Accuracy of representations made by retailers on-site. Disclosure of collision history, true mileage. Compliance with used car labelling requirements of Québec's Consumer Protection Act, and certification requirements of Ontario's Ministry of Transportation.
- Condition of the vehicles offered for sale (evidence of misrepresented collision repairs, possible salvage status, accuracy of indicated mileage, disclosure of required safety and non-safety repairs).
- All visits will be videotaped and summarized in a written report.
- Date modified: