Archived—Project Summaries 2007-2008 - Environmental Defence Canada Inc.
Archived information is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
317 Adelaide Street West, Suite 705
1. Greening Canada's Building Codes
The construction or renovation stage of a building is the time at which critical decisions are made that will affect the ecological footprint of that building for many years to come. While consumers can sometimes choose more environmentally sound alternatives when building or renovating, it is far more effective to embed these alternatives into the building code, so that all buildings must conform to a basic standard to protect people's health and our environment.
Drawing on existing standards, Environmental Defence's (ED) Green Buildings program will establish clear environmental benchmarks for building design. Using this criteria, ED will conduct a province-by-province comparison of building codes to determine how each can improve their environmental content.
The benchmarks and Report Card will inform current and upcoming processes reviewing building codes in jurisdictions across Canada, encouraging each jurisdiction to adopt better environmental standards to improve the environmental performance of Canada's building inventory.
More specifically, ED will do the following:
- Review existing standards (LEED, Energuide, R2000, federal and provincial programs etc.) to compile initial draft of benchmarks.
- Submit list to stakeholders and contacts for comment.
- Begin collecting data on provincial codes, including timelines for upcoming reviews.
- Incorporate feedback from stakeholders, establish and develop a model for analyzing provincial codes.
- Workshop with industry stakeholders.
- Complete data collection on provincial codes, including other relevant programs that should be taken into account.
- Finalize benchmarks.
- Publicize benchmarks for consumers (websites, possible news stories).
- Write first draft of Report Card.
- Submit to key contacts for comment.
- Incorporate comments of key contacts.
- Draft and release final Report Card.
- Translation of summary.
- Project evaluation.
- Date modified: