Canada's Changing Retail Market
Consumer Trends Update - Summer 2013
Links to websites not under the control of the Government of Canada are provided solely for the convenience of visitors. The government is not responsible for the accuracy, currency or the reliability of the content. The government does not offer any guarantee in that regard and is not responsible for the information found through these links, nor does it endorse the sites and their content.
Readers should also be aware that information offered by non-Government of Canada sites to which Industry Canada links is not subject to the Privacy Act and the Official Languages Act and may be available only in the language(s) used by the sites in question. Readers should research the privacy policies of these sites before providing personal information.
- Abma, D. (2011, November 18). Canada's Inflation Rate Eases. Financial Post.
- Avesa, H., Hernandez, T., & Daniel C. (2011). Foreign Retail Chains in Canada. Toronto, ON: Centre for the Study of Commercial Activity.
- Beckman, K. (2009, July 27). The Venerable Shopping Mall Disappearing into the Sunset. The Conference Board of Canada.
- Blackwell, R. (2012, March 4). Canadian Businesses Riding Loonie's Rise. The Globe and Mail.
- Bula, F. (2011a, June 20). Canadian Malls Growing In Only One Direction. Globe and Mail.
- Bula, F. (2011b, May 25). The Next Step for the Canadian Mall?. Globe and Mail.
- Cameron, B. (2011).The Recession Hangover: How Inflation is Changing Canadian Retail. Retail Council of Canada.
- The Canadian Press. (2012, February 15). Consumer Confidence Falls to Lowest Level in 2 Years. CTV News.
- Clifford, S. (2010, September 21). Stores Scramble to Accommodate Budget Shoppers. New York Times.
- Conference Board. (2011). Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index (December 2011).
- Conference Board. (2012). Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index (August 2012).
- Conference Board. (2012). Conference Board Consumer Confidence Index (December 2012).
- Colliers International. (2011a). The Retail Report Canada (Spring 2011 Edition).
- Colliers International. (2011b). The Retail Report Canada (Fall 2011 Edition).
- Colliers International. (2012a). Canada's Retail Sector Continues to Attract Foreign Chains and Develops.
- Colliers International. (2012b). The Retail Report Canada (Spring 2012 Edition).
- Cooper, S. (2009). Canada's Small Business Juggernaut. BMO Capital Markets Economics.
- Cooper, S. (2011). Canadian Retailing: A Changing Picture. BMO Capital Markets Economics.
- CTV News. (2013, March 5). Target's Canadian Launch is Expected to Launch Price Wars. CTV News.
- Daniel, A., & Hernandez D. (2010). Canada's Leading Retailers – Latest Trends and Strategies (9th Edition). Toronto, ON: Centre for the Study of Commercial Activity.
- Daniel, A., & Hernandez D. (2012). Canada's Leading Retailers – Latest Trends and Strategies (12th Edition). Toronto, ON: Centre for the Study of Commercial Activity.
- Deveau, S. (2011, July 22). Canada-U.S. Retail Price Gaps Begin to Narrow. CBC News.
- Deloitte. 2011. Consumer Spending with Restraint: 2011 Holiday Outlook Survey.
- Government of Canada. (2012). Permanent Delegation of Canada to the OECD.
- Gulati, R., & Nohria N. (2009). Tasting the Fruits of Effective Innovation. KPMG.
- Gulluce C., & Parent L-M. (2011). Survival of the Smallest. Canadian Federation of Independent Business.
- Hammond, C. (2012, October 31). Impending Downtown Grocery Store Closures Leave 'Food Desert' in their Wakee. The Uniter.
- Harrison, J. (2011, May 24). Faces of Canadian Retail Changing: BMO. Business in Vancouver.
- Hernandez, T. (2011). Power Centre Vacancy in Canada: 2010. Toronto, ON: Centre for the Study of Commercial Activity.
- Hernandez, T., Erguden T., & Svindal, M. (2011). Power Retail Growth in Canada and the GTA: 2010. Toronto, ON: Centre for the Study of Commercial Activity.
- Standing Committee on Industry, Science and Technology. (2012). E-Commerce in Canada: Pursuing The Promise. Ottawa, ON: Canada House of Commons.
- IBM. (2005). Cross-Channel Optimization: A Strategic Roadmap for Multichannel Retailers.
- Industry Canada. (2005). The Consumer Trends Report. Ottawa, ON: Industry Canada.
- Industry Canada (2010). State of Retail: The Canadian Report 2010. Ottawa, ON: Industry Canada.
- Industry Canada. (2012). Key Small Business Statistics (July 2012).
- KPMG. (2010). Consumer Currents 8.
- KPMG. (2011). Consumer Currents 10.
- Ladurantaye, S. (2011, May 11). Canada's retail market now matches U.S. per capita. The Globe and Mail.
- Magazine, R. (2013, March 28). Why Canadians are paying more at Target. Globe and Mail.
- Mah, B. (2011, July 19). American Invasion Continues at West Edmonton Mall. Edmonton Journal.
- McKenna, N. (2012, March 16). Discount retailer Fields to Close. CBC News.
- Melnick, B. (2011, April 14). Recession Challenges: Mass Marketing to Fragmented Consumers. Ad Age.
- Mohammad, Rafi. (2011, January). Ditch the Discounts. Harvard Business Review.
- Nowak, P. (2012, March 5). Surprise, Surprise: Canada Lags in E-Commerce. Macleans.
- OECD. (2012). PPPs and Exchange Rates. OECD Stat Extracts.
- O'Connor, Clare. (2013, April 30). 'Extreme Pricing' At What Cost. Retailer Joe Fresh Sends Reps To Bangladesh As Death Toll Rises. Forbes.
- Porter, D. (2011). Raging Loonie: What It Can and Can Not Do. BMO Capital Markets Economics.
- Postmedia News. (2012, July 6). Target Wins Approval to Replace Zellers, Told Stores Need Canadian Content. National Post.
- Powell, C. (2011, July 21). Store Brands Losing Their Lustre: Study. Marketing Magazine.
- PricewaterhouseCoopers. (2013). Understanding how US Online Shoppers are Reshaping the Retail Experience.
- Rampell, C. (2011, March 29). Big Prices Come in Small Packages. New York Times.
- Roseman, E. (2009, March 25). Innovation Paying Off in Recession. Toronto Star.
- Sanders, C. (2012, October 17). Closings Eat at Downtown. Winnipeg Free Press.
- Schmidt, S. (2011, November 8). Look Closer: There's Less in that Jar. Winnipeg Free Press.
- Shaw, H. (-----). 'Cheap chic' unisex retailer Forever 21 to Invade Canada. National Post.
- Simmons, J., & Kamikihara S. (2011). Commercial Activity in Canada (Report 2011-02). Toronto, ON: Centre for the Study of Commercial Activity.
- Statistics Canada. (2008). E-commerce: Shopping on the Internet.
- Statistics Canada. (2011a). Canada Year Book 2011.
- Statistics Canada. (2011b). Latest release from the Consumer Price Index.
- Statistics Canada. (2011c). Individual Internet Use and E-Commerce.
- Statistics Canada. (2012a). Canada's Population Clock.
- Statistics Canada. (2012b). The Daily - Consumer Price Index, August 2012.
- Statistics Canada. (2012c). Table 080-0022 – Retail Commodity Survey, Canada, (Annual). CANSIM.
- Strauss, M. (2011a, June 23). A Changing of the Guard at Canadian Retailers. The Globe and Mail.
- Strauss, M. (2011b, August 21). J. Crew's Canadian Shoppers Balk at Higher Prices. The Globe and Mail.
- Strauss, M. (2011c, May 2). Grocers Scramble to Offset Higher Food, Fuel Costs. The Globe and Mail.
- Strauss, M. (2012a, August 23). Aldo's Global Footprint. The Globe and Mail.
- Strauss, M. (2012b, July 25). Loblaw's Joe Fresh Hooks Up with J.C. Penney. The Globe and Mail.
- Strauss, M., & Curry, B. (2012, September 6). Flaherty Calls for Clarity on Higher Prices in Canada. The Globe and Mail.
- Strauss, M., & Grant, T. (2011, April 14). Canadian-U.S. Price Gap Surges. The Globe and Mail.
- Tencer, Daniel. (2012, March 8). Canada-U.S. Price Gap: Higher Canadian Dollar Hasn't Helped Consumers, Data Shows. The Huffington Post.
Content for this document has been gathered from many sources, and best efforts have been made to credit them where appropriate. Notices of errors and/or omissions will be gratefully accepted, and should be communicated to the Office of Consumer Affairs.
The views expressed in this document do not necessarily reflect the views of Industry Canada or of the Government of Canada.
Permission to Reproduce
Except as otherwise specifically noted, the information in this publication may be reproduced, in part or in whole and by any means, without charge or further permission from Industry Canada, provided that due diligence is exercised in ensuring the accuracy of the information reproduced; that Industry Canada is identified as the source institution; and that the reproduction is not represented as an official version of the information reproduced, nor as having been made in affiliation with, or with the endorsement of, Industry Canada.
For permission to reproduce the information in this publication for commercial redistribution, please email: email@example.com.
Cat. No. Iu22-1/1-2013E-PDF
Aussi offert en français sous le titre L'évolution du marché de détail au Canada.
- Date modified: