Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2006 – Province: Prince Edward Island
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Setting: Souris Kindergarten
PO Box 400
Souris, Prince Edward Island
Nominator: Karen Picot
Type of setting: Kindergarten/child care, children from 2 to 6 years
Philosophy of Care:
"We are often the first people to be trusted with another's child for the day, a responsibility not to be taken lightly."
Support of Child Development:
"Anne's staff has been with her for an average of 18 years - an accomplishment which is unusual in the early learning and child care sector."
"The low rate of turnover among her staff is a testament to the collegial and supportive environment Anne maintains."
"Anne has successfully integrated early childhood education with a wide range of activities provided for the older children in the area, including access to gym and library activities."
Involvement with Parents, Families and the Community:
- During her tenure with Souris Kindergarten, Mrs. Miller has touched the lives of well over 1000 children from the Souris area.
- Each Christmas Anne's Kindergarten class collects food and toys for the needy families in our area. And each year, the representatives of our local Lion's Club are overwhelmed with the generosity of our children and families. The Knights of Columbus also donates a sum of money each year to buy winter clothing for needy families. They come to Anne with this donation because they know she has her finger on the pulse of this community.
- Anne has been recognized provincially for her commitment to children as the recipient of the ECDA Award if Excellence for PEI and a Provincial Inclusion Award.
- The Souris Kindergarten hosts an annual "Teddy Bear Parade" to celebrate Early Childhood Week on PEI. The children from the Kindergarten, Playschool and Nursery school are led up Main Street Souris by the Souris detachment of the RCMP and Kings County ambulance Servicer. With the Souris Fire Department following behind they are cheered on by family, friends and local business owners who line the street to watch them parade by.
- Anne has welcomed a member of the Souris Group Home into our centre for the past 3 years. Alan is a mentally challenged gentleman who comes in to our centre each day to participate in games and crafts with the children and help out in the kitchen. Including Alan into our day has made both the children and staff more aware and accepting of the diverse needs in our community.
"Anne works endlessly finding appropriate services and support systems for parents who are struggling with personal and monetary issues … Anne Miller has worked tirelessly for more than 30 years to build a centre that is the envy of all centres on PEI." - Beth MacPhee and Gail MacInnis
"She said that she had something for me. As I walked in I immediately saw what it was. She had saved a drawing that I had made sixteen years earlier! That day long ago she asked what I wanted to be when I grew up and I of course had replied "a princess!" I drew a very lovely picture to go along with my aspiration. To know that she had cared enough about me as a student to save this meant the world to me. I now have this beautiful portrait framed in the living room of my home! What a gift to be able to give someone. … She often says that we are often the first people to be trusted with another's child for the day. She tells us that this is a privilege and we should not take this responsibility lightly." - Heather Outhouse, Staff
"Anne is the definition of a true leader. This is proven on a daily basis by the very obvious respect and support that her staff give to her." - Jeanna McIntosh, Parent
"Anne has recently provided leadership to a broad multi-sectoral group of individuals in eastern PEI to promote family literacy, early language development and early intervention. … As an example, Anne has led the planning for children's activities for the annual "Souris Regatta", a long standing community event in eastern PEI." - Rhéo Rochon, Director, Montessori Children's Centre