Archived — Jennifer Durkin
Year: 2008 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Kiddies Korner Preschool
2211 Prairie Avenue
Port Coquitlam, British Columbia V3B 1V8
Type of setting: Preschool for children ages 3 to 5
Philosophy of care
Recognize and accentuate each child's special gifts, while teaching him or her to develop a love of learning.
Support of child development
- Gives children the chance to learn skills on their own time.
- Some children come to preschool absolutely terrified of being separated from their mother. Mrs. Durkin spends the extra time necessary to allow children to adapt to the daily parting. The trust built by this effort helps children develop the confidence to overcome their fears.
- Listens to children to determine their interests and builds on them as learning opportunities. For example, when children were making "fish prints"—putting paint on fish bodies to make prints on paper—Mrs. Durkin heard some of the children wondering what was inside the fish. The next day they came in to find the same fish cut open, with small rubber gloves and magnifying glasses, all ready for a lesson in anatomy.
- Successfully integrates all children into her classroom, including children with physical, mental and behaviour challenges.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Mrs. Durkin always encourages parents in the school to look out for one another, to form a supportive community. This has positive effects on the management of the school, every aspect of which is looked after by a group of parent volunteers each year. These parents also get to see the school in action and how Mrs. Durkin interacts with their children.
"Jennifer interacts with each child in a personal and respectful way. She knows each child's strengths and capabilities and uses these to further learning in an enjoyable way for the child. She instills in each child and family the value of lifelong learning and commitment to serving others in the community." Academic in ECE field
"Jennifer Durkin has dedicated her entire working life to enriching the lives of children. It was 40 years ago that she first completed her ECE certification and made a commitment that she would do everything in her power to support the fullest development of preschoolers in her care." Preschool board member
- Date modified: