Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2009 – Province: Yukon
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
La garderie du petit cheval blanc
22, promenade Falcon
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 6C8
Type of Setting : Daycare, children ages 18 months to 2 years
Johanne Moreau works at the Yukon's only francophone daycare. She uses her teaching talents and her passion for the French culture to enrich the cultural life of kids and their families alike. A perfect example of this is the " Papa, maman, raconte-moi une histoire (dad, mom, tell me a story) program, which she set up in collaboration with the adult education department to help parents improve their French so they could in turn help their kids learn to read.
Philosophy of Care
Passersby are often surprised to see Johanne prepare her classroom well before the kids arrive. But for her, that's normal: she believes in integrating the family lives and day care lives of the kids and knows how important it is to make a good first impression.
Support of Child Development
- Johanne knows how to combine the familiar and the unknown to help her kids feel at home at the daycare and discover new worlds. She will use everything from family photos of the kids to the gems she brings back from her travels to help them learn.
- The educator regularly promotes child development through magical moments. She enhances snack time by setting the table and lighting a candle, allows the kids to get fresh air before lunch break, and teaches them about the world through reading. She has even invited an outside person to show the kids how to bake bread.
Involvement with Parents, Families and the Community
- The daycare mostly caters to multicultural families. Johanne recognizes the challenges of teaching in two languages and two cultures, and supports the parents in their approach. She takes concrete steps to promote French at the daycare and in the community.
- Johanne has made major contributions to the daycare's operations. Among other things, she has served on the Board and has represented other educators to improve working conditions.
- Johanne is also active in the community. She puts her skills and energy to profit for such organizations as the Service d'orientation et de formation des adultes (adult orientation and training service) and supervises many interns.
"Johanne shows unparalleled commitment to parents, families and the community." – Director, Service d'orientation et de formation des adultes
"Johanne was an employee representative on the Board; I can attest to her professionalism and her concern for the well-being of the daycare and the kids who frequent it." – Parent
- Date modified: