Year: 2010–2011 — Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Nursery Two Childcare
1153 Normandy Street
Peterborough, ON K9H 7L9
Type of Setting: Childcare centre for children aged 12 months to 12 years
Eye to eye and 30 inches from the floor, Teresa Burke always listens with care – her signature calmness and comforting smile promotes contentment and empowers children at Nursery Two Childcare Centre.
Philosophy of Care
Making sure their whole family is supported and that each child is honoured as an individual is central to Mrs. Burke's programming. From teddy bear adventures that bridge home and school, to drumming lessons and celebrations of community events, Mrs. Burke's philosophy sees each child as an individual functioning on a daily basis in many different environments.
Support of Child Development
- Mrs. Burke works extensively with outside agencies to ensure that all children, including those with exceptionalities, are welcome and well cared for throughout her programming;
- Mrs. Burke listens carefully and with empathy to each student in order to invent exciting activities and programs that are driven by the children;
- Always researching best practices, Mrs. Burke brought the ELECT (Early Learning for Every Child Today) program to Nursery Two, which focuses on physical, cognitive, emotional and social domains of development.
Involvement with Parents, Families and the Community
- Mrs. Burke enhanced a transportation program by securing funds for the agency to purchase a van that provides all families with access to child care and services
- With a belief in supporting the whole family, not just the child, Mrs. Burke introduced an open communication book with parents to speak with each family individually, as well as a bulletin board which outlines programming and special initiatives;
- Mrs. Burke implemented the Teddy Bear adventure to link to children's activities at home and as something to share with their peers. Children take turns taking home a teddy bear and a scrapbook for a week where they document real and imaginary adventures with the teddy bear.
- During holidays and local community celebrations, Mrs. Burke always makes the link to the outside world by incorporating special events and activities into the classroom.
"In a community where many people live in poverty, Teresa has found ways to ensure that our most vulnerable children can attend our programs and that their families are linked to the support services they most desperately need."
"From the moment I met Teresa, I knew that I had found my children an environment that I was happy to call their 'home away from home'."