Year: 2010-2011 – Province: Yukon
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Dawson Childcare Association
P.O. Box 34
Dawson City, YT Y0B 1G0
Type of Setting: Childcare centre for children 6 months to 12 years
Philosophy of CareTune the radio to CBC and you might just hear some of Stephanie Davidson’s students singing along for your morning commute. With musical talent and a network of professional musicians and community members that she taps into regularly, Ms. Davidson provides unbeatable opportunities for her students.
Support of Child Development
- Ms. Davidson researched, designed and implemented a program to bridge the gap between daycare and kindergarten. The Kinder-Ready program focuses on socialization, physical, emotional and cognitive development, as well as early literacy.
- When one third of the daycare’s families were francophone, Ms. Davidson signed up for the first French course she could find, introducing French into her circles and programming.
- Ms. Davidson’s All About Me program helps children about themselves and others as they create a full-sized body silhouette that they decorate, paint and label with each child’s like and dislikes, hopes and dreams, as well as physical characteristics and traits.
Involvement with Parents, Families and the Community
- Ms. Davidson runs the daycare’s Family Reading program, which provides a library of age-appropriate books to children and parents. Each child has a folder to track their reading development and is rewarded with progress.
- Ms. Davidson regularly organizes fundraisers for the daycare, which she uses as an opportunity to network with valuable members of the community.
- Ms. Davidson and her students participate in local activities and events like the Tr’ondek Hwech’in Moosehide gathering (First Nation field trips, workshops and activities), the Discovery Day parade or the Dawson City Music Festival.
"Stephanie’s artistic side is one of the most fun parts of her continuing drive to stimulate the minds of our children. Stephanie seems to view the children as going through the most important stage of their lives."
President, Board of Directors
"One aspect of Stephanie’s personality that needs to be brought to the forefront is her ENTHUSIASM! I have never witnessed an adult that displays such enthusiasm for her job, the children and early learning."