Ronni E. Candelora
Year: 2010-2011 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Mount Royal University Child Care and Preschool
4825 Mount Royal Gate Southwest
Calgary, AB T3E 6K6
Type of Setting: Childcare centre for 3 to 5 year olds
Philosophy of CareChildren learn to play and play to learn in Ronni Candelora’s preschool classroom. Bright, sunny, warm and inviting, Candelora’s classroom is a thoughtfully planned space truly designed with the child in mind. Child-sized sinks, chairs, tables, mailboxes, coat hooks and shelves … everything is set up and designed to encourage independence, creativity and intrigue.
Support of Child Development
- Ms. Candelora is constantly challenging herself to provide the children with something new and exciting every day. She adds or changes things around and makes sure that the art area is always stocked with something different.
- Ms. Candelora invites parents to celebrate culture and traditions with the whole class.
- If parents are interested, she can also document their child’s behaviour and development using developmental screens like Ages and Stages and the Nipissing District Developmental Screen.
Involvement with Parents, Families and the Community
- Ms. Candelora encourages parents to volunteer in the classroom on a regular basis and has organized open houses on Saturdays to ensure that parents have the chance to have all their questions answered.
- Ms. Candelora has an open door drop-in policy, meaning that any family member is always warmly welcomed into the classroom.
- Ms. Candelora encourages community involvement by initiating and providing a parent and tot program to local families. She also develops and delivers various parent, caregiver and child-related workshops in the evenings and on weekends.
"Ronni is one of the most inspirational teachers I have ever met; she has a fantastic approach with the children. I observed Ronni’s great variety of various teaching techniques and she has made me think about my own practice. I was in awe of her positive, happy, friendly and consistent nature."
"[Ronni’s] passion to create effective play and learning environments is evident on a daily basis; environments that support a variety of learning experiences and ensure children are comfortable. (…) It is my opinion that Ronnie Candelora is the peak of Mount Everest that we in the Early Childhood Community strive to achieve."