Archived — Corine Gannon
Year: 2012 — Province: Alberta
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Genesis Early Learning Centre
10537 44th Street
Edmonton, Alberta T6A 1W1
Type of setting: 100 Voices Preschool Outreach Program for ages 2 1/2 to 6 years old
It's all about the environment. Like the landscape of early learning programming that Corine Gannon has carefully manicured, her classrooms are thoughtfully cozy, stimulating and intentionally designed to look like an extension of home.
Philosophy of care
Natural curiosity is nurtured in Gannon's engaging environments that build on strengths and interests. Leading a staff of 91, she infuses classrooms around Edmonton with energy, art and dance on a daily basis.
Support of child development
- Gannon is the mastermind behind the 100 Voices Preschool Program, which is built on the philosophy that all preschool-aged children can participate in an inclusive educational program.
- Gannon has also developed the Preschool Outreach Program to provide children with identified needs, the opportunity to access the services of a multi-disciplinary team.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Family nights are an integral component of the 100 Voices Programs. Families come together and are encouraged to connect with others in various multi-cultural celebrations and events.
- Gannon recognizes the importance of providing programming to parents and children together. With this in mind, she developed the Early Learning Mobile Unit, a classroom on wheels that goes directly into communities and provides a unique learning place for children accompanied by a caregiver.
- Gannon also established a partnership with the Centre for Family Literacy to provide immigrant families with alternative programming.
Corine believes in the importance of lifelong learning and sharing knowledge with her peers. (…) Corine has provided vision so others may see, created paths for others to follow and offered support so others may succeed.
Assistant Superintendent, Edmonton School Board
Corine has the rare ability to transform a need into a dream of what might be possible…
Superintendent, Edmonton Catholic Schools
- Date modified: