Year: 2012 — Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Douglas Park Community Preschool and Child Care
5409 206th Street
Langley, British Columbia V3A 2C5
Type of setting: Preschool for children ages 3 to 5 years
Philosophy of Care
Nature-lover Dawn Adamson has followed her dream and dedicates herself to providing an outdoors-based program where children can learn and explore at their own speed. The program is inclusive, tangible and accessible to all children. "Teacher-Dawn", as the children call her, can seize an everyday moment and make it teachable.
Support of Child Development
- Adamson carefully observes all the children speaking with each other and moulds her classroom activities based on their interests.
- With a belief that every child has the ability to make a difference in the way the environment is managed, Adamson integrates activities like nature walks or exploring the local duck pond into her lessons to encourage ecological awareness. Adamson is also the author of four nature-themed books for children.
- At the beginning of each program, Adamson starts a journal for each child to capture moments and to jot down the things that children may say only once in a lifetime.
Involvement with Parents, Families and the Community
- An advocate for affordable and quality childcare, Adamson spends countless hours helping families find a placement in programs that work for them. If she is unable to place a child in one of her centre's programs, she will work with the family to find something else.
- Adamson honours every child's background by creating a fusion of cultures in her classroom. Musical instruments from around the world, vivid fabrics on the walls, First Nations puppets and books are all examples of the materials she uses to make each child feel comfortable.
- Adamson works with the community to provide childcare for immigrant families who are attending English language classes. While the parents are in class, their children are provided with a literacy-rich English environment.
Community-minded employers like Dawn Adamson truly make a difference in the lives of local students with disabilities who are interested in working in the childcare field.
Faculty, Access Programs for People with Disabilities
Dawn was the person who convinced me that I had made the right choice when selecting a certificate in ECE for my career change. From childhood, I had always wanted to become a teacher, but Dawn made me realize what that really meant.