Year: 2012 — Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
Little Chimps Preschool / Golden StrongStart
1000-14 Avenue South, P.O. Box 746
Golden, British Columbia V0A 1H0
Type of setting: Licensed preschool and StrongStart BC Program for children ages birth to 5 years
Philosophy of Care
If a child needs a quiet place to sit for a few minutes alone, or if they want to participate in a larger group activity, they will find what they need in Shelley Zajsek's classroom. Intuitive, creative and patient, Zajsek knows exactly when to tease and joke or when to offer a hug.
Support of Child Development
- Highly committed to making appropriate modifications to accommodate any child in her program, Zajsek ensures that special equipment is installed when necessary and makes adjustments to her classroom.
- Zajsek has the ability to provide extensions from classroom activities to the greater world, like during the Olympic games when she organized activities that incorporated patriotic or other symbols linked to the games.
- Every day ends with outdoor playtime. When the programs are over, the children are bundled and ready to go. In the winter, Zajsek wears her snow pants too – sliding and climbing with the children and in the summer she's known to run through the spray park.
Involvement with Parents, Families and the Community
- Zajsek gives parents the opportunity to be the teacher – she sets the stage and they do the work. Parents lead parts of circle time, clean and help maintain the centre. Twice a year, Zajsek also organizes a Royal Tea that allows family members to participate in class activities.
- Zajsek produces pedagogical narration sheets that she displays in her classroom, which allow children and their parents to relive and review moments that they had in the classroom.
- For the Santa Claus parade, Zajsek invited families to help create a float and participate in the parade.
Shelley is the reason [our son] can speak and make himself understood; she has provided him with the tools to help him cope with his anxiety and focus on the task at hand. (…) She will always be an important part of his life.
Shelley is one of those early childhood professionals who has an innate passion for the work she does, has the ability to connect with all the children at their level and a willingness to do whatever it takes to include a child.