Year: 2014 — Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Little Scholars Montessori
3500 Fallowfield Road
Ottawa, Ontario K2J 4A7
Type of setting: Licensed Childcare Centre for ages 18 months to 6 years
Known affectionately as 'Miss Mona' to many, Mona Khan seeks to optimize each child's development in her programs. By providing her children with meaningful activities and incorporating real-life events into the learning environment, she helps develop their self-esteem and independence.
Philosophy of care
Mrs. Khan believes that early education should promote the development of the whole child, to help each child to reach his/her unique potential in all areas of life and gain a lasting love of learning. She encourages her team to discover each child's abilities and interests and learn what works best to ensure all individuals succeed.
Support of child development:
- Documented children's interests and development with a Personal Portfolio including individual achievements and milestones that she later shares with parents;
- Used unique strategies so children can express themselves respectfully. "The Peace Table" initiative encourages children to discuss their feelings and talk through their problems instead of resorting to angry words;
- Created stimulating and engaging "real-life" environments such as transforming a classroom into a marketplace for children to sell or purchase items.
Involvement with parents, families and the community:
- Inspired her team of educators and parents through the growth of her program into 4 centres now serving hundreds of families each year;
- Developed innovative approaches to engage the families of her children such as "The Family Tea", where children served family members and treated them as guests;
- Fostered strong relationships with the greater community that complemented the children's activities including tours of the local fire station guided by the Deputy Fire Chief or dentists visits to the classroom on the importance of dental hygiene;
- Delivered workshops such as "Montessori Basics" for educators to discuss ideas, challenges and experiences as a part of professional development;
- Organized meetings for parents to share behaviour strategies or activities they can use at home.
What makes Mona a true leader is her ability to inspire others; everyday she inspires me to become a better educator and also a better person! I can say this because she has made a life of spreading joy and enriching the lives of others and the community around her.
As our children continue on their life voyage, Mona is someone our family will cherish for the meaningful relationship we have shared and the life skills our children attained through her programs.
- Date modified: