Amandine Falette-Galiussi: Playing and learning in nature
Year: 2019 — Territory: Northwest Territories
Certificate of Excellence Recipient
Daycare Plein Soleil
Daycare (10 months to 4 years)
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
"Her methods and her philosophy should be shared widely across Canada."
After leaving France to discover the Canadian North, Amandine Falette quickly put her tireless energy to work for the Yellowknife community. Her innovative ideas, her commitment, her insatiable interest in early childhood, her leadership and her love of the outdoors make her an exceptional educator.
Philosophy of care
Amandine understands that an active child is a child who is more attentive and more open to learning. Physical activity in nature is the cornerstone of her work. She also favours a learning-through-practical problem-solving -style approach to develop the children's motor, intellectual, emotional and social skills.
Support of child development
- Takes the children out on quasi-daily walks in the woods to give them a taste for physical activity, the outdoors and respect for nature, while teaching them about mutual support, patience and respect for others and promoting controlled risk-taking and self-confidence.
- Develops age-appropriate themes based on the seasons or daily life, providing the children with interactive learning games related to each theme.
- Shows initiative and creativity in organizing activities that affect many aspects of the children's lives: visiting farms, visiting sick children in the hospital, participating in cultural activities with Aboriginal Elders, etc.
Involvement with parents, families and the community
- Includes parent-child activities in the program for the year, such as building bird feeders from recycled materials at home and then installing them in the woods near the daycare.
- Got the parents and the community involved in collecting toys for children in the paediatric wing of the hospital in Yellowknife to teach young children about sharing.
- Often uses parent volunteers to accompany her group on extracurricular activities so parents can feel committed and see their children interact within the group.
Get in touch!
Garderie Plein Soleil
48 Taylor Road
Yellowknife, NT X1A 3X2
Facebook: @Garderie Plein Soleil
- Date modified: