Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 1998 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Hebrew Academy
Principal: Rachel Archibald
Grades/Subjects Taught: Elementary language arts, mathematics
- Respond to students. "Response is the essence of my teaching _ I respond to the child. This brings out their best, and I respond to that."
- Blending the art and science of learning. "Education of the whole child and integration of curriculum go hand in hand."
Developed, coordinates and delivers Sensitization Program:
- successful program designed to sensitize students to those with special needs, which is an important task of learning community
- features whole-language philosophy, uses themes of friendship, independence and others, and brings together literature, films, writing experiences, discussions, interviews and dramatic presentations to grades 1 _ 6, teachers, parents and community organizations
- expanded to a trilingual program (English, French and Hebrew).
Creates a holistic learning environment to reach the whole child:
- balances discipline and structure with nurturing and caring
- teaches courtesy, independence and decision making, and deals with challenging children and situations consistently, calmly and with humour
- sends a personal letter to each of her students when they graduate in Grade 6 with a sample of their Grade 1 work.