Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 1998 – Province: Alberta
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
Cindy Meagher , Joan Beeson
School: Bridge Network
Principal: Cindy Meagher
School Website: www.gppsd.ab.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Secondary outreach program
- Make education available, in whatever form or setting necessary. Education is a universal need, and success a universal opportunity.
- Create productive and responsible citizens through education.
Created the Bridge (Building, Responding, Involving, Developing, Guiding, Educating) Network for students unable to attend regular high school:
- Pupils come to this storefront school from all areas of the city, referred by guidance counsellors.
- Aim is to lead students back to regular classrooms and on to higher education, and to give them vital experiences of success.
- Program features modular curriculum with more then 70 correspondence courses that students can complete at their own pace. Staff facilitators work one on one with students.
- In 1996 and 1997, there was a 57 percent increase in course completion and a 40 percent increase in students completing diploma requirements. Since inception, the program has grown from 60 to 400 students, and there has been a steady increase in the number of students able to return to traditional schools.
Both teachers involved in a long list of school, district, provincial and national organizations and committees.
"In my role [as a child welfare official] I see many youth who need to find some measure of success to begin to rebuild a sense of worth and competence. Cindy and Joan have created an environment where youth [can do that]; where they can achieve success." Education partner
"The Bridge Network has helped me achieve my goals and made me believe that, even as a mother of two, I can do anything I put my mind to." Student