Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 1999 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Westgate Collegiate and Vocational Institute
Principal: Ian MacRae
Grades/Subjects Taught: Business English, technological design, computer networking
- Foster connection between in-school courses and outside world, make education more meaningful for students, bring authentic projects into the curriculum.
- Stay on the forefront of technological innovation through professional development.
- Support and promote contests and competitions for students, challenging them to excel.
Launched innovative new program combining business English with technological design:
- credit course entitled The Printing Press produces real-life product, a student-designed and -published newspaper, Eye of the Tiger
- project acts as vehicle for learning, emphasizing open-ended problem solving, focusing on process as well as product or solution
- Eye of the Tiger achieved provincial honours at annual High School Newspaper Awards; student editor won four awards and another student won an award
- project and awards attracted media attention; students did radio and television interviews.
Developed innovative courses that capture students' interest and promote learning. Students:
- are exposed to diverse and complex design processes and problems
- take progressively greater responsibility for their work
- work as a team, facing deadlines and responsibilities
- develop and show leadership in areas within larger project
- add many accomplishments and employability skills to their résumés
- receive reference letters from employers.