Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2000 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: North Field Office, Peel District School Board
9 West Drive
Brampton, Ontario L6T 4T2
Principal: John Cruikshank
School Telephone: 905-890-1010
School Fax: 905-451-1023
Grades/Subjects Taught: Resource teacher for school board
- Exploit the power of teams.
- Make sure students understand what is being asked of them.
- Only the learner can learn. The teacher must frame the information for that to happen.
Developed an innovative and highly successful instruction method to ensure success for students of all ages in research and writing:
- the "Dianne Dillabough method" encourages students to identify critical elements in texts (e.g. examine a work as a whole and focus on the main ideas, recognize the signal words commonly used in a text, and find the topic sentence and clincher sentence in each paragraph)
- students demonstrate an improved ability to organize their research and writing of essays and projects, better comprehension of material and increased confidence in their ability to learn
- scores in provincial grade three and grade six testing have risen by six per cent in reading, more than one per cent in grade three math and more than 10 per cent in grade six math.
Ms. Dillabough shares her method with teachers across and beyond her school board:
- 276 teachers signed up for 100 spaces in a five-night workshop
- 36 resource staff and 50 secondary literacy teachers have taken the workshop
- presented four-day courses at the Summer Institutes for Teachers and Presenters On the Road workshops in Ontario, and a workshop in British Columbia.
"Mrs. Dillabough is, without question, one of the teachers who will remain proudly in my memory for the rest of my life. She added so much to my outlook on my own education." Former student
"Dianne brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to her work and a quiet competence upon which I, and other colleagues, have come to rely." Fellow resource teacher