Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2000 – Province: Saskatchewan
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Val Marie School
Val Marie, Saskatchewan S0N 2T0
Principal: Dennis Reid
School Telephone: 306-298-2144
School Fax: 306-298-2196
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade one mathematics and health, grades two to six, all subjects, grades seven and eight mathematics
- Listen. Allow learners to gather their strength and motivate themselves to learn independently.
- Observe. Find the strengths and learning styles of each student; then develop ways to reach them.
Enhances curriculum and encourages student involvement with special projects:
- Society Environment Energy Development Studies (SEEDS) improve understanding and stewardship of the environment, through projects such as school recycling, pop can tab collecting and awareness-building poster campaigns
- Project Wild, in partnership with the Canadian Wildlife Federation, teaches awareness, knowledge, skills and commitment to environmental responsibility
- Book-It improves reading skills and habits from grades one to six by recording and rewarding time spent reading.
Exploits a variety of teaching strategies, including technology, project-based learning and group work to prepare elementary students for high school:
- uses computers to increase academic skills, specifically in mathematics
- organizes large class projects involving research, writing and presentation to teach children to learn and work together
- allows students to work at their own pace and jump ahead if they wish
- encourages students to submit poetry and artwork to the Royal Canadian Legion in honour of Remembrance Day; many students have won prizes.
Achieved remarkable attendance rates - 97 per cent for 30 years. Former students often visit, and invite Mrs. Belza to speak at graduations and lead student and community committees.
"Mrs. Belza's classroom was like stepping across a threshold - not into a room, but a world where each child's worth was emphasized." Parent, former student
"Caring is key to all that Elaine is about." Principal