Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2000 – Province: Newfoundland and Labrador
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Holy Heart of Mary Regional High School
55 Bonaventure Avenue
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador A1C 3Z3
Principal: Robert Pittman
School Telephone: 709-754-1600
School Fax: 709-754-0855
School Website: www.hhm.k12.nf.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Music
- Actual awards are of little significance unless you've achieved the level of performance you set for yourself.
- Show students that, though it won't happen overnight, hard work and perseverance do pay off.
- Use music training to develop vital personal skills and attributes: confidence, perseverance, ambition, effective communications and teamwork, among others.
Developed a vibrant music program at the school, including Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses.
Formed and trains five school choirs - a concert choir open to all, and auditioned boys, girls, chamber and madrigal choirs:
- these choirs have won provincial, national and international awards and performed on national television and radio
- many students participate in more than one choir, on top of regular school courses
- integrated students from the school's challenging needs unit into the choir using a buddy system
- students handle most organizational details, such as maintaining the phone list, fundraising and a Christmas gift exchange
- the chamber choir has produced three CDs to date.
Ensuring that her students' music experience doesn't end with graduation, Mrs. Quinn formed the award-winning Quintessential Vocal Ensemble for Holy Heart alumni.
"During my high school years, she showed us what it felt like to work really hard for something and eventually experience the joys of success." Former student
"She has an almost magical ability to work with high school students. She allows them to flourish under her guidance into some of the finest youth choirs in the world." Parent and music professor