Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2000 – Province: Quebec
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: École de la Mosaïque
Saint-Basile-le-Grand, Quebec J3N 1C6
Principal: Francine Lelièvre
School Telephone: 450-441-6719
School Fax: 450-441-6721
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grade six, all subjects
- Use project-based teaching to give students a broader perspective on French language and culture by introducing them to songs, poems, stories, fables and legends. Use a "cultural" rather than grammatical approach to teaching language skills to encourage students to develop a cultural identity.
- Help struggling students by creating magical environments capable of capturing and holding students' attention and giving them the opportunity to express themselves.
Manages Ça Presse, which is published by students in grades four, five and six, and which has won awards from Merites du français et de la francophonie en éducation for elementary-level student newspapers four years running.
Brought to life and animates La forêt de la Belle au bois parlant. Students create and describe an imaginary world, helping them to develop language, artistic and theatrical skills so they can:
- tell stories that will create interest
- convey information adequately
- defend their views
- use emotional appeals in an effective and appropriate way
- expand their vocabulary.
This project has received wide recognition, including a Roy C. Hill Award and a grant from Quebec's association of primary teachers.
"I was not a model student in sixth grade. I never did my homework and I was failing, or practically failing, every subject. Lucie supervised me, gave me advice, and showed me how to organize myself at school." Former student
"Once in a very great while, life gives us an opportunity to meet exceptional individuals. My son had that opportunity this year." Parent