Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2000 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Westgate Collegiate and Vocational Institute
707 South James Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7E 2V9
Principal: Ian MacRae
School Telephone: 807-577-4251
School Fax: 807-473-8223
School Website: westgate.lhbe.edu.on.ca
Grades/Subjects Taught: Business English, technological design, computer technology
- Foster a connection between in-school courses and the outside world. Make education more meaningful for students, and bring authentic projects into the curriculum.
- Stay on the forefront of technological innovation through professional development.
- Weave technology into other components of the curriculum.
Launched and continues innovative credit course called The Printing Press, which combines business English with design technology. Students publish a newspaper, Eye of the Tiger:
- allows students to experience whole process of creating a successful product
- emphasizes open-ended problem solving, and focuses on process as well as product or solution
- every student participates in positions that match and challenge his or her interests and abilities; some students repeat the course on a not-for-credit basis to continue learning
- Eye of the Tiger won provincial honours at the annual Toronto Star High School Newspaper Awards (nine awards in the past two years); students also submit their work to other local, national and on-line publications, and some have branched out into radio and TV journalism
- students take progressively more responsibility for their own learning.
Forges relationships within the community to further students' learning:
- brings in speakers and arranges field trips
- arranges for donation of paper for Eye of the Tiger by local pulp and paper company
- works with the district health unit to get health information for the paper
- established partnership with Warner Music to get review copies of CDs and interviews with musicians.
"You get to be creative and be involved with a positive thing in the school. And you have the chance to express yourself and your views." Student
"Marlene has been gifted with a natural ability to create and shape the curriculum to meet the needs of our changing world." Vice-principal