Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2001 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: St. Thomas of Villanova Catholic Secondary School
2800 Town Line
Lasalle, Ontario N9A 6Z6
Principal: Jim Byrne
School Telephone: 519-734-6444
School Fax: 519-978-9238
School Website: www.wecdsb.on.ca/132
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 9 to OAC, physics, chemistry, science, mathematics
- Instil the strong educational foundation students need to succeed.
- Stay available to students, and offer whatever assistance they need to fully grasp the material.
Established unique Living Lab, transforming classroom into mini-zoo of amphibians, reptiles, arachnids and insects, each in its own controlled environment. The Living Lab:
- brings to life the subjects of biology, ecology, habitat restoration, horticulture and genetics
- inspires students to learn time management and responsibility
- demonstrates the importance of proper techniques in caring for animals, a lesson easily transferred to chemistry and physics lab
- provides a setting for special needs students to shine.
Brings same inspirational energy to chemistry and physics classes:
- insists on proper and safe laboratory techniques, challenging students to apply themselves with full attention
- provides concrete examples of chemistry and physics in industry and advances in the field, demonstrating how classroom relates to real world
- enrolled senior students in Chemical Institute of Canada's annual gemology contest for creating crystals; combined competition materials with units on super saturation and solubility constants.
Disproportionate number of Villanova students continue study of sciences in post-secondary education. Former students consistently ranked at the top of post-secondary chemistry classes.
Mr. Cuckovic is a priceless mentor whose positive wave of vibrant energy and humour fills not only the classroom of which we have grown to become a part, but also inspires those who leave that classroom to face the future. Student
All of us carry the memory of at least one wonderful teacher whose passion and commitment to students and learning made a huge difference in our lives. There is no question in my mind that today's Villanova students will carry such memories of George Cuckovic. Principal