Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2002 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipients
School: Quinte Secondary School
45 College Street West
Belleville, Ontario K8P 2G3
Principal: Robert McGall
School Telephone: 613-962-9295
School Fax: 613-962-1047
School Website: www.hpedsb.on.ca/qss
Grades/Subjects Taught: Grades 10 to OAC, physics, science
- Look at the big picture and make decisions based on what is best for kids.
- Foster in students a love of science and a need to experiment in the search for answers.
Vividly demonstrates the laws of physics with working models:
- flies a hovercraft made of plywood, baler wire and old vacuum cleaner parts down the school halls, showing that air pressure can easily support his 200-plus pounds
- lies on a real bed of nails to make a pointed demonstration of the relationship between weight distribution and surface area
- shocks his students by proving that static electricity can travel through an entire classroom of students.
Instigated the development of an integrated electronics engineering course, combining elements from math, physics, electronics, computer programming and computer technology courses. Worked with parents, fellow teachers, and local post-secondary institutions and industries to design the course and curriculum.
Designed the multicredit Bridges Program to providing students with the opportunity to learn science in both the classroom and real-life settings.
Leads science department and fellow teachers towards excellence in teaching. Jones shares his teaching strategies and curriculum-writing skills locally and with the American Association of Physics Teachers, selects and trains new teachers for the science department, and helps fellow teachers upgrade their qualifications.
"He has unquestionably dedicated his life to sharing his knowledge and passion for science with thousands of students and co-workers for 30 years." Student
"His drive is contagious and his students become caught up in the love of science, which is Ray's mission in life." Fellow teacher