Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2006 – Province: British Columbia
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
School: San Josef Elementary
Bag 1000, 9 Sunnyview
Holberg, British Columbia
Principal: Frank MacLean
School Telephone: 250-288-3625
School Fax: 250-288-3773
Grades/Subjects Taught: Kindergarten to 7, Primary Program
- Teaching philosophy: "Students learn best in a safe, nurturing hand-on learning environment."
- Ensures teaching methods are tailored to each individual learning style and encourages every student to reach his or her full potential.
- Promotes the use of information and communications technologies in lessons and activities.
- Encourages parent involvement in the classroom and homework.
- Challenges students to be self-directed learners.
- Expands student's knowledge using local resources available in field trips.
- Students work as a team on many projects.
- Builds leadership skills in older students.
- Encourages students to take the initiative to further research a topic through the library and Internet.
- Engages students in activity planning to expose them to time and resource management.
- Mrs. MacDonald volunteers and organizes numerous programs. They include: the Salmon Enhancement Program, beach clean up, walks with Marine Biologist Jackie Hildering, community clean ups, after school choir, talent shows, fun fairs, science fairs, Christmas concerts, skating, swimming, UNICEF, Jump Rope for Heart, and Variety Club Pins. She organizes all school fundraising activities such as regular bottle drives, craft fairs, bake sales, silent auctions and so on. She also helps coordinate the school's music program.
- Mrs. MacDonald is an invigilator for Distance Education Studies, participates in Foundation Skills Assessment filed testing, is a member of the District DART marking team, and is a member of the Emergency Preparedness Plan Committee for the Holberg community.
"This school setting evokes images of the pioneering teachers of the early 20th Century. Christina is certainly not a throwback to yesterday; she is a progressively minded educator who combines her passions for learning with her community spirit. The lives of the school and the community are inextricably linked due to her past and ongoing efforts to bring learning to life." - Principal, Robert Scott Elementary School, Fort Rupert Elementary School, San Josef Elementary School
"She praises all of the students equally and diversifies her teaching to work with their individual strengths." - Parent of student
"To teach the same students year after year and keep their enthusiasm, interest and respect is indicative of her gifted teaching abilities." - Former teacher, San Josef School