Archived — Milissa Gavel
Year: 2008 – Province: Saskatchewan
Certificate of Excellence Recipients
School: Davison School
300 Montreal Street
PO Box 2888
Principal: Susan Maserek
School Telephone: 306-728-3955
School Fax: 306-728-4377
School email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School website: http://dav.gssd.ca
Subjects and grades taught: Homeroom and technology in Grade 6 and language arts, mathematics, technology, social studies and health in Grades 4 to 6
- Classroom management is the foundation that makes learning possible. Students are rewarded for following established classroom procedures, succeeding in their work and meeting personal goals.
- Set an open door policy: parents are welcome at any time.
- Integrate students with special needs into the classroom by adapting programs to suit them while ensuring they feel welcomed. Work closely with parents, student support teachers, educational assistants, speech and language pathologists, occupational therapists and educational psychologists to achieve these goals.
- Created a program that rewards students with "Gavel Bucks" for good behaviour, class participation, contests, completed assignments, helping others, reading and other activities selected by Mrs. Gavel. Students track their earnings in bankbooks, which helps them acquire arithmetic, budgeting and organization skills. They can spend their earnings on classroom privileges or items donated for a year-end auction.
- Uses peer mentoring to encourage and support adoption of new technology in teaching.
- Developed a handbook to help teachers use SmartBoard technology (essentially an electronic blackboard) in the classroom and runs a blog on this teaching aid.
"Mrs. Gavel runs the type of classroom where there is never a dull moment. She uses a variety of teaching strategies and motivational activities to promote student enthusiasm. Students are eager and willing to participate." Colleague
"She is constantly looking for different ways to use technology to enhance her practice. I think the risks Milissa takes speak to her character and drive for success." Teaching intern
- Date modified: