Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.
Year: 2009 – Province: Ontario
Certificate of Achievement Recipient
École secondaire catholique de Plantagenet
6150 Country Road 17
Plantagenet, Ontario K0B 1L0
Grades and subject: Grades 9-12, drama
Mr. Lacelle's passion for the arts is as impressive as the creativity he has cultivated in his students through such innovative endeavours as founding the theatre group, l'ESPrit d'show and the improvisational group, Les Infutiles, as well as co-founding the cinema program, Cinécole.
- Invests in the curricular and extracurricular lives of his students to convey his passion for the theatre and his belief in doing things well and living by strong personal values.
- Gives his students the technological tools that need to hone their critical skills, to unleash their creativity and to discover their many talents.
- Nicolas gave his school l'ESPrit d'show, a theatre troupe that has enchanted audiences at the school and on tour for nine years. Inspired and guided by their teacher, the students take care of everything, from writing the plays to working in the control room and building the sets. They put hundreds of hours into their projects, many early in the morning or late at night. They have been so successful that the school now offers its own arts and culture program.
- Nicolas is the founder and muse of Les Infutiles, an improvisational group that has won many awards and distinctions since it was founded in 2004. In fact, the group was a Mouvement d'implication francophone d'Orléans league finalist before its first anniversary. Since then, Les Infutiles were twice named champions in addition to bringing home the Calder, Stanley and Memorial de l'AFOLIE cups. They were also crowned champions of the 24 hour Improthon tournament.
- Three years ago, Nicolas established Cinécole with actor Marc Bélanger. His students have been learning the basics of filmmaking ever since. Today, the project is offered at the school board level and boasts its own annual gala.
"Nicolas is a dedicated teacher. […] He has touched countless students by sharing his passion for the theatre as only he can: by getting his students to take a risk and cultivating […] daring." – Colleague
"Participating in activities run by Mr. Lacelle has taught me to be better organized, to work under pressure, to develop my creativity and to take criticism better." – Student