Feedback from Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
Innovation Science and Economic Development Canada (ISED), in support of the ongoing delivery of programs to support the enhancement of broadband Internet services in Canada, receives information on Internet coverage from the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC), directly from Internet Service Providers (ISPs), from public sources, Canadians, and provincial and territorial governments.
ISED has created searchable maps, divided into 25 km2 hexagons, which indicate where facilities-based ISPs are located for the purpose of identifying Internet availability across the country. Alternative formats of this information are also available, such as MapInfo files, Open Source KML format or CSV text files.
ISED regularly seeks feedback on its Internet availability information to ensure that this information is current and complete. If you have information regarding current Internet coverage that is not reflected in the maps, a form has been developed to seek your feedback and a sample of file formats identified that can be submitted. Any coverage data submitted will be included in future updates to the maps and will be used to guide and assist in the delivery of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada Programs.
Disclosure: Please note that information collected will be used to improve ISED’s public Internet availability map.
How to send your coverage area information
- Use the form to capture as much information as possible and attach your data files. An explanation of information required in the submission form is provided.
- If you use MapInfo Professional, please provide us with your files indicating your organization's correct high-speed Internet coverage information. For planned coverage, use the form provided.
- You may send us other map format files that are compatible with MapInfo Professional. For planned coverage, use the form provided.
ISED accepts Internet coverage information in all forms; however, certain formats provide more accurate and representative coverage and are preferred. The following is a listing in order of preference:
- Geographic Information System (GIS) mapped coverage shapes in MapInfo, KML (or similar) file format. See MapInfo and KML sample coverage. ISPs may also use these files as templates.
- Equipment location and description (such as tower location, antenna height, equipment type and frequency, DSLAM location or CMTS cable head-end. Preferred units are decimal degrees, metres and MHz). MapInfo, KML (or similar) file format preferred.
- Static map image indicating coverage (image file-types accepted, such as PNG, JPEG, PDF).
- List of hexagons by number or an electronic file mapping coverage in MapInfo, KML (or similar) file format. Upon request, Connecting Canadians will provide you with MapInfo or KML files containing all hexagons in populated areas.
- Textual listing of served locations (such as community names, streets, postal codes).
For each coverage submission, please also provide the residential download speeds (Mbps) that are available.
Please submit the form and any data files to ConnectingCanadians-UnCanadabranche@ic.gc.ca.
If you need assistance compiling your mapping data or want to verify what information ISED has, please contact us.
- Date modified: